abhiloquacious Offline
Edulix Super Senior

abhiloquacious Offline
Edulix Super Senior

Likes Given: 11
Unisearch: Link
Revised GRE Experiences
Hello Edulixians

The new pattern of GRE has begun from 1st of August, 2011. This thread calls all those who have taken GRE in new pattern to write the detailed ( or short Razz) experiences of the exam, content, score pattern, difficulty level, exam centers etc so that it can help in future.

@Moderators: There is one more thread existing on the same line but it was made for the old pattern of GRE as well as TOEFL. If you think this thread is not requried, please lock it.

Common people, lets share and help others!

Thank you Smile
I saw a thread explaining an experience after I made this thread. I will be compiling those here if I see them here and there in future.

Here is a post by mrunalpatki

Hi Everyone. I'd like all to share info on new GRE pattern. People who have taken up new pattern can chip in their valuable experience and share it here so that it helps people who wanna take up the new GRE.

Here is what one of my friends had to say about the new GRE pattern:
1. Verbal seems to be difficult(compared to earlier pattern) as more emphasis is given on reading comprehension(well if reading comprehension is ur strength then u have an advantage).
2. No major changes in Qunat as far as difficulty level is concerned.
3. Need to be quick in the AWA section as duration has been reduced to 30 minutes

My Infobank
My VI
Boiler Up!
I can reply to the tags now. Please do not send personalized 'blogs' in the PM. Tag me, and I will reply as soon as I get time.

Cheers!
(This post was last modified: 08-05-2011 06:32 PM by abhiloquacious.)
08-05-2011 02:03 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
abhiloquacious Offline
Edulix Super Senior

abhiloquacious Offline
Edulix Super Senior

RE: Revised GRE Experiences
One more experience by aadilirani :

well i gave my gre on august 1... got a score range of 750-800 in quants and 420-520 in verbal.... bt der was a surprise... i had 2 quant sections.. thats normal.. but i had 3 verbal sections.. and they didnt mention anything about whether the last section was unscored or research.. i had to give the section anyway... wouldnt mind 3 quant sections. bt 3 verbals is a disaster believe me.. especially reading those huge rcs again and again

One more by malathi.raghavan :

I took the revised exam 4th Aug.

Regarding verbal, I found that concentrating on the usage of words will be more useful. Word lists definitely need to be learnt, though mugging them up may not be necessary. Reading journals,newspapers and long passages, understanding the flow between sentences is a definite requirement for reading comprehension.

Quants was quite easy. I had enough time and the level of questions were also quite simple.

I used the old Barrons, and the official guide to revised GRE by ETS. The ETS guide gives an accurate picture of the actual exam, but it has very few practice questions.

I found the online website http://www.magoosh.com really useful for verbal. IMO it is the best for verbal.

I had 2 quant sections, and 3 verbals sections. GRE does not inform us as to which of the sections is unscored.

Finally my approx scores : Q 750-800 V 650-750

My Infobank
My VI
Boiler Up!
I can reply to the tags now. Please do not send personalized 'blogs' in the PM. Tag me, and I will reply as soon as I get time.

Cheers!
(This post was last modified: 08-05-2011 06:32 PM by abhiloquacious.)
08-05-2011 06:24 PM
rohancnaidu Offline
Edulix Frequent User

rohancnaidu Offline
Edulix Frequent User

Likes Given: 0
hi guys.

I maybe a little unaware on this so i am raising this question.

I know the GRE patter changed from Aug 1. But what i had read on the website was the even the scale of scoring had changed from 1600 to 340.

But here i saw both guys reporting their approx scores in the old scale. Am i missing something in here?

08-06-2011 03:37 AM
abhinavz1 Offline
Edulix Distinguished Contributor

abhinavz1 Offline

Likes Given: 7
Even i had read the same thing that scores have been scaled down to 340..Those who are giving GRE in august please update after you are done with it..

infobank
My VI
Tag me for VLSI and ASU related queries
08-06-2011 04:03 AM
malathi.raghavan Offline
Edulix Frequent User

malathi.raghavan Offline
Edulix Frequent User

Likes Given: 1
As mentioned these scores are only the approx scores on the old scale. The actual scores on the new scale will be available only in November.

08-06-2011 08:29 AM
sumanraidu Offline
Edulix Active Member

sumanraidu Offline
Edulix Active Member

Likes Given: 2
guys i got 1020 in gre old pattern .should i retake gre new pattern or shd i go further wid dese score ?

08-06-2011 10:04 AM
abhiloquacious Offline
Edulix Super Senior

abhiloquacious Offline
Edulix Super Senior

Some more experiences I got on web:

AWA:

AWA was pretty decent …similar to old pattern. Except that argumentative given more time .

Verbal:

Had to face the 2 verbals sections …tiring …first was easy …the next section was tough.
Questions were tough in the reading comprehension part – confusing in nature and time consuming.
Overall …. the one with a very strong command over verbal …will definitely crack the exam ..

Quantitative

3 New GRE quantitative sections …. experimental included …. quant is my strength, so enjoyed it.
Quantitative is not as simple as the older version …but yeah …pretty decent …easy …

Test takers with good command over English language and ability to read and understand a passage in quick time can get high score.
One more, quoted :

"I took GRE today at early morning session, went to Prometric GRE center in time, done with the initial cursive writing job, kept all my belongings in locker provided and started Revised GRE Exam.

Initially had an easy essay and an argument topic which was one of the published one, in ETS GRE Website. And my first section was verbal which had same format with 6 sentence completion, RC’s, it was horrible.

It had comprehensive part which comes directly from the esteemed papers which is difficult to understand and interpret. After interpreting it takes very long time to analyze the given options and select the one which is correct. I had never seen such questions in Revised GRE prep materials (I had studied for about a month using Official GRE prep book, Princeton review, Barrons all are the latest edition prepared for new gre type).

The math had similar questions , one which ETS had published in web (a PDF file)and was easy ones. To my surprise I had got 3 verbal section and 2 math sections. Which i think ly 2 verbal section will be scored.

Finally completed all sections, selected the colleges (though was mentally exhausted) and finally came OUT!!

That’s my Revised GRE Experience. Hope it would helps others GRE Test takers."

[/align]
One more, quoted:

" New GRE Experience

I gave my New GRE today and got a 570 in verbal and 800 in Quant, on the higher range. I found New GRE quantitative section was very easy in comparison with GMAT.

New GRE Verbal was tough for me. I was praying for quantitative as experimental section. But got the opposite -3verbal sections and 2nd quantitative sections! Couldn’t finish the 3rd verbal section in time…was almost exhausted by then!

My preparation for New GRE was for less than a month and I had very little resources. I started with Official Revised GRE Guide & McGraw Hill. McGraw hill has easy questions in both New GRE Verbal & Quantitative when compared to actual GRE.

Official guide has very few questions and is generally not sufficient for practice. I could lay my hands on Kaplan (Kaplan New GRE 2011) only 10days back and it proved to be very useful. I used to get similar scores in my practice tests in Kaplan. The free tests on majortests.com also helped me to a certain extent.

New GRE Verbal

But I dont agree that one can do away with vocab in New GRE. New GRE Vocabulary is important and one should understand the intensity in usage of words that are similar. However, mugging up of 4300 words like in Barrons wouldn’t help. GRE Verbal tests the comprehension skills rigorously and I guess the vocabulary from regular reading of newspaper or Economist would greatly help. One needs to have a lot of practice in verbal questions. Probably other publishers would release some more material very soon.

All the best. "

My Infobank
My VI
Boiler Up!

Cheers!
(This post was last modified: 08-06-2011 10:35 AM by abhiloquacious.)
08-06-2011 10:19 AM
abhiloquacious Offline
Edulix Super Senior

abhiloquacious Offline
Edulix Super Senior

One more experience I got on happy schols blog:

" Revised GRE Experience

Reading Comprehension was Horrible. I wrote GRE exam in Prometric center Hyderabad on August 5th. Got 3 verbal sections, 2 Quantitative in the following order:

Essay1 – Essay2 – Verbal1 – 10 min break – Quants1 – Verbal2 – Quants2

Verbal and quants may be interchanged but this the format i.e., 3 sections before break and 3 after break.

New GRE Essays
At first both the essays were very easy to attempt. Then comes the verbal section, where reading the comprehension kills most of the time.

New GRE Reading Comprehension
When we go through the questions in RC, they will be asking us to select a choice which will either support the message author wants to say or weakens the passage summary. A 60 lines comprehension (passage with 40% of the screen) with 4 questions in each of the 3 verbal section was the worst nightmare. Takes a time of 5 to 7 minutes to read passage perfectly. But the problem is those questions will not be direct ones. Other question asks to criticize author’s view. This takes time as they are not directly related to passage.(I mean we have to think and eliminate few choices 1 or 2 and decide the best among the left 2 or 3). One asks to select a choice which weakens the summary of passage while other questions asks to select author’s review or criticism about the topic. Still have to think to answer, this kills time. So this is how total 15-18 min were wasted in just 2 sets of comprehension (4 questions for each passage/set). Remaining time was adjusted for all other questions. One really feels exhausted after Essay 1, Essay2, Verbal 1. I thought i will get a break (10 min). But to my surprise, i got quants section before break. So, guys be prepared to handle the comprehension task. Practice at least 1000 questions with time limit.

I got 4th section before break. I was sure that i had to attempt 3 more after break so indicating the presence of unknown section. To my bad luck Sad After break, the 2 verbal sections made me so mad that, i thought as soon as i finish test, i will run out of center even without sending scores to 4 universities. But some how i finished everything and came out.

I sincerely advise all my friends to plan well in advance and prepare thoroughly even if you all are gems in verbal. You cant even your situation there with RC’s. They are like Dementors (Harry potter related Razz ) I just prepared from Barron’s book, ETS GRE book which i feel are not enough to score more than 400. Could have solved 500 more questions. Thats why i say you to practice atleast 1000 questions. Enroll for practice tests, test yourself in timed and untimed situations. Observe the difference and plan accordingly to cover the gap.

All the best. Smile "

My Infobank
My VI
Boiler Up!

Cheers!
08-08-2011 12:58 AM
ashok87 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

ashok87 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

Likes Given: 3
Hello,

According to ETS, there is a section in quants which requires us to enter the answer into a text box.
Those who took the test already can you please tell
1. Whether the answers were both of integer and fraction types or only of integer type?
2. If there were fractions, then did you enter the answers in p/q format or in decimal format?

Thanks,
Ashok
Unisearch profile | Revised GRE Exp |
CMU | NCSU | ASU | UMICH-AA | UCSD | GATECH | TAMU | UCI | USC
(This post was last modified: 08-08-2011 08:26 AM by ashok87.)
08-08-2011 08:26 AM
samarthmehta87 Offline
Edulix Active Member

samarthmehta87 Offline
Edulix Active Member

Likes Given: 1
(08-08-2011 08:26 AM)ashok87 Wrote:  Hello,

According to ETS, there is a section in quants which requires us to enter the answer into a text box.
Those who took the test already can you please tell
1. Whether the answers were both of integer and fraction types or only of integer type?
2. If there were fractions, then did you enter the answers in p/q format or in decimal format?

If a fraction is required you will get two text boxes, one on top of the other.
A single text box means a decimal value is required.

08-08-2011 03:41 PM
monady Offline
Edulix Frequent User

monady Offline
Edulix Frequent User

Likes Given: 8
Hi,
I am now trying to get ready for taking GRE on October, but I don''t know which ref would be more useful for verbal section. I wonder if anyone who has taken revised exam before, found any question similar to those questions are available in big book or kaplan or ......
08-10-2011 01:38 PM
my39289 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

my39289 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

HI
The scores in the revised pattern are to be out of 340..some of u had mentioned ur scores out of 1600 and said that the scores on the new scale will be sent in nov..but u come to know the score immediately after the test isnt it??so that score is out of 1600..i am kind of confused here..

08-10-2011 03:31 PM
nidhi_venkatesh Offline
New Edulixian

nidhi_venkatesh Offline
New Edulixian

Likes Given: 2
(08-10-2011 03:31 PM)my39289 Wrote:  HI
The scores in the revised pattern are to be out of 340..some of u had mentioned ur scores out of 1600 and said that the scores on the new scale will be sent in nov..but u come to know the score immediately after the test isnt it??so that score is out of 1600..i am kind of confused here..

hi..
The scores for the new pattern will be finalized and sent by november if u take the test between august to november.. from december they scores are sent within 15 days of writing the exam.. since they are not finalized yet only the range of the scores as per the old pattern only is displayed once the test is done.. this is the news i found out..

08-10-2011 04:28 PM
my39289 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

my39289 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

(08-10-2011 04:28 PM)nidhi_venkatesh Wrote:  
(08-10-2011 03:31 PM)my39289 Wrote:  HI

hi..
The scores for the new pattern will be finalized and sent by november if u take the test between august to november.. from december they scores are sent within 15 days of writing the exam.. since they are not finalized yet only the range of the scores as per the old pattern only is displayed once the test is done.. this is the news i found out..

oh ok thanks Nidhi Smile

08-10-2011 04:30 PM
sumeet1986 Offline
New Edulixian

sumeet1986 Offline
New Edulixian

I wanted links from where i can take up the new GRE tests online . Also it would be great if these tests are timed tests . Please help . Thanks
(This post was last modified: 08-11-2011 02:02 AM by sumeet1986.)
08-11-2011 01:59 AM
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this thread