Disadvantage of having work experience for job after graduation
krazzycool Offline
Edulix Senior Member

krazzycool Offline
Edulix Senior Member

Likes Given: 0
Unisearch: Link
Disadvantage of having work experience for job after graduation
This post is based on the feedback I had received from some of my friends. This post is more for creating an awareness rather than scaring.

Many of the students applying for MS in Europe tend to have a couple of years of work experience. Some German universities need students to have an mandatory industrial internship of 3 months for obtaining MS degree and if a student has prior work experience, he is exempted from this internship. Also relevant work experience gives a candidate an advantage while applying for MS admission.

But does this prior industrial experience affect the possibility of a job after graduation?
The answer is 'Yes'. Prior Work experience can be a 'DISADVANTAGE'. Most of the students do not know this fact until they start applying for jobs. In Europe, most companies have a position called as "Graduate Engineer Trainee (GET)". This is an entry level job that is given for fresh university graduates and hence there is a high number of students recruited for this position. Companies have different rules to determine the eligibility of a student for GET. A large number of companies do not accept students with 2+ yrs experience into GET position. Similarly,there is also a significant number of companies which do not students with 1+ years experience.

I have 2+ years experience in a field not related to my field of study. Am I still eligible for GET as a fresher?
The answer mainly received was 'NO'. Most companies do not accept students under GET if they have any kind of experience greater than their maximum requirement.

So what happens to a person who has 2+ years experience before his MS?
The answer is that he can apply only to specific job opening as a experienced professional when the position is advertised on company webpage. These openings tend to be far lesser than GET positions and hence some students with experience tend to find it harder to get jobs after graduation.

Hence ideally it is advisable for students not to delay their MS education.
Looking forward for feedback/experiences from rest of the seniors in this forum.

Tag me only for European universities...
-----------------------------------------------------------
http://www.edulix.com/unisearch/user.php?uid=6434
06-24-2012 04:06 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
ravieruva Offline
Edulix Active Member

ravieruva Offline
Edulix Active Member

RE: Disadvantage of having work experience for job after graduation
Why would someone opt for a job in an entry level position (GET) after a 2+ year experience and MS qualification? Wont the applicant be looking for a specialized role?

Also, while applying to a job (with good relevant experience) after your MS, isn't the candidate at an advantage compared to his peers?
(This post was last modified: 06-24-2012 10:25 AM by ravieruva.)
06-24-2012 10:22 AM
The_Minuteman Offline
Sous-Advocatus Diaboli

The_Minuteman Offline
Sous-Advocatus Diaboli

Likes Given: 5
I am not experienced and do not have too much knowledge about how things work in UK, but I definitely agree with ravieruva. With 2+ years of work ex and a masters, if you still have not decided in what you want to do, then there is something wrong somewhere. Why in the world would you be applying to a fresher's post with close to 4 years of experience?? (Most companies WILL consider your masters as equivalent to two years of work ex, otherwise what is point of career advancement with a masters if you are back to being a fresher in view of your job profile??)

Post Count : Post only when absolutely necessary. And when you post, make it count.
06-24-2012 11:20 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
krazzycool Offline
Edulix Senior Member

krazzycool Offline
Edulix Senior Member

The_Minuteman
The intention of my post was to tell the students that the opportunities for employment after graduation is higher for students with less experience . As I have mentioned, my post was based on the feedback from my seniors regarding their experience when applying for job. Some of my seniors with too much experience found it hard to find relevant jobs since openings tend to be less. Similarly I really doubt whether companies consider masters as equivalent to 2 years experience. Here most of the programmes are Integrated MS programmes. So students with Bachelor's degree rarely exist. The minimum requirement for a technical job tends to be MS for most countries. A person with only Bachelors tends to get jobs which are mostly as a operator or supervisor or Field Engineer.
As far as my case goes, I have only just completed my 1st year of MS and I am yet to start with my job application process.

There are many reasons for a person with around 2 years opting for an entry level job here.
1. Some of the students are pursuing their masters since they are looking for a change in career. (Eg. mechanical engineering students who have ended up reluctantly working in IT industry but wish to get back to a core mechanical industry. They consider masters degree as one of the ways of achieving it.)
2. The difference in the salary is not great for a entry level job and for a person with 2 years experience in country like Norway. The package offered for a fresh masters is around NOK 440,000 while for a master's with 2 years experience is around NOK 480,000. Also higher the salary, more is the tax (typically tax is around 40% for this salary range). So in the end the difference in take home salary is less. (Conversion: 1 NOK = 9.5 INR)
3. Students generally tend to have an education loan and the burden of repayment starts soon after graduation. Some European countries give only 6 months to 1 year time as a job seeker to find a relevant job.

ravieruva
Since the candidate will be applying to a specialized position, he will be competing with people of almost same experience and not with the freshers. When a company advertises for a job, their experience requirement generally tends to be either 0-2 years, 2-5 years, 5-10 years or 10+ years .
So suppose a company says that they are looking for a person with 2-5 years for a specialized job. Then a person with 0-2 years experience is not considered for it unless they cannot find someone matching their requirements. So you will be competing with people in the same bracket 2-5 years experience range only and hence dont u think a person with 4.5 yrs experience has a better chance than a 2.5 yr experience guy ? Hence the advantage over peers generally doesn't tend to exist.

Experience is no doubt a good thing. But too much experience can limit your job possibilities after graduation. Hence doing MS at the earliest is the best option. That was the message I had wanted to convey from my first post. Well I guess I wasnt successful in doing that.

Some of the observations in my post may be exceptions but it was posted with the intention of creating an awareness since I have not seen any discussion in this forum on this kind of topic.
06-25-2012 02:58 PM
ajosephhh Offline
Edulix Active Member

ajosephhh Offline
Edulix Active Member

Likes Given: 1
(06-25-2012 02:58 PM)krazzycool Wrote:  @[The_Minuteman]
The intention of my post was to tell the students that the opportunities for employment after graduation is higher for students with less experience . As I have mentioned, my post was based on the feedback from my seniors regarding their experience when applying for job. Some of my seniors with too much experience found it hard to find relevant jobs since openings tend to be less. Similarly I really doubt whether companies consider masters as equivalent to 2 years experience. Here most of the programmes are Integrated MS programmes. So students with Bachelor's degree rarely exist. The minimum requirement for a technical job tends to be MS for most countries. A person with only Bachelors tends to get jobs which are mostly as a operator or supervisor or Field Engineer.
As far as my case goes, I have only just completed my 1st year of MS and I am yet to start with my job application process.

There are many reasons for a person with around 2 years opting for an entry level job here.
1. Some of the students are pursuing their masters since they are looking for a change in career. (Eg. mechanical engineering students who have ended up reluctantly working in IT industry but wish to get back to a core mechanical industry. They consider masters degree as one of the ways of achieving it.)
2. The difference in the salary is not great for a entry level job and for a person with 2 years experience in country like Norway. The package offered for a fresh masters is around NOK 440,000 while for a master's with 2 years experience is around NOK 480,000. Also higher the salary, more is the tax (typically tax is around 40% for this salary range). So in the end the difference in take home salary is less. (Conversion: 1 NOK = 9.5 INR)
3. Students generally tend to have an education loan and the burden of repayment starts soon after graduation. Some European countries give only 6 months to 1 year time as a job seeker to find a relevant job.

@[ravieruva]
Since the candidate will be applying to a specialized position, he will be competing with people of almost same experience and not with the freshers. When a company advertises for a job, their experience requirement generally tends to be either 0-2 years, 2-5 years, 5-10 years or 10+ years .
So suppose a company says that they are looking for a person with 2-5 years for a specialized job. Then a person with 0-2 years experience is not considered for it unless they cannot find someone matching their requirements. So you will be competing with people in the same bracket 2-5 years experience range only and hence dont u think a person with 4.5 yrs experience has a better chance than a 2.5 yr experience guy ? Hence the advantage over peers generally doesn't tend to exist.

Experience is no doubt a good thing. But too much experience can limit your job possibilities after graduation. Hence doing MS at the earliest is the best option. That was the message I had wanted to convey from my first post. Well I guess I wasnt successful in doing that.

Some of the observations in my post may be exceptions but it was posted with the intention of creating an awareness since I have not seen any discussion in this forum on this kind of topic.
Why can't one lie and tell i have no Work Experience.... Will that make him a fresher...

06-25-2012 03:22 PM
traam Offline
Edulix Senior Member

traam Offline
Edulix Senior Member

ajosephhh
"Lie" - You should never do to a company/firm. They can find it from your CV/certificate which has your UG Grad date. As a professional, if they find an employee lying, you will be fired even in India.

Regards,
TRaam

Tag me using @[traam] 2 get my attention || Pls don't tag me to thank me, instead come back to Edulix & help ppl.

My VI Exp ll Necessary Docs for VI ll Guidelines for Visa Re-attempts
06-25-2012 03:30 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
ajosephhh Offline
Edulix Active Member

ajosephhh Offline
Edulix Active Member

(06-25-2012 03:30 PM)traam Wrote:  @[ajosephhh]
"Lie" - You should never do to a company/firm. They can find it from your CV/certificate which has your UG Grad date. As a professional, if they find an employee lying, you will be fired even in India.
Man... Tell them you were not working, and you were ideal...
Anyway, i was not serious about that... Yes.. You can't Lie...
Only place where Lying Helps is U.S Visa Interview i think...

06-25-2012 03:35 PM
traam Offline
Edulix Senior Member

traam Offline
Edulix Senior Member

ajosephhh - Do you mean idle..?
That is even worse unless you have a convincing reason..

In my personal opinion, the theory behind is "Grass on the other side is always greener.."

Besides that getting a job depends on the specialization, location, related exp, Visa (for EU) and LUCK..

Hope we will be LUCKY Smile

Regards,
TRaam

Tag me using @[traam] 2 get my attention || Pls don't tag me to thank me, instead come back to Edulix & help ppl.

My VI Exp ll Necessary Docs for VI ll Guidelines for Visa Re-attempts
06-25-2012 03:45 PM
krazzycool Offline
Edulix Senior Member

krazzycool Offline
Edulix Senior Member

ajosephhh
Never lie or hide information while applying to a company. You may however try to justify the reason for wanting a career change in the cover letter for job. Companies take misinformation very seriously and you may never ever be considered for any position in that company later in your life.
(This post was last modified: 06-25-2012 04:21 PM by krazzycool.)
06-25-2012 04:19 PM
ajosephhh Offline
Edulix Active Member

ajosephhh Offline
Edulix Active Member

(06-25-2012 04:19 PM)krazzycool Wrote:  @[ajosephhh]
Never lie or hide information while applying to a company. You may however try to justify the reason for wanting a career change in the cover letter for job. Companies take misinformation very seriously and you may never ever be considered for any position in that company later in your life.

Ok forget about lying and all man... See the below
Do you know about HAN University, Netherlands in anyway... Please provide info about that university for control systems and about visa procedure to Netherland...

06-27-2012 02:30 AM
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this thread