edumaster Offline
Edulix Active Member

edumaster Offline
Edulix Active Member

Likes Given: 0
Unisearch: Link
Fall 13 | MSc | Mech | GRE 317 | TOEFL 95 | UG 8.93
Hello,
I am planning to apply to Swedish universities.
Please evaluate my profile
Applying to: MSc Mechanical Engg. applied mechanics specialization
GRE: total 317, Quant 163, Verbal 154, AW 3.5
TOEFL: 95
UG: CGPA 8.93/10 (topper 9.00). Top 5% out of 70 students, consistently in top 5% in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th year

Other relevant info:
1. 1 year of research experience in finite element method, and fracture mechanics at Pune University
2. 1 year internship at Tata Motors; total 6 projects in design, statistical cost estimation, 'very good' performance evaluation certificate from company
3. 1 thesis publication in form of monograph
4. Many participations in inter-collegiate activities - paper presentation, seminars etc.

I am applying to following universities:
Chalmers Institute of Technology
KTH Royal Instt. of Tech

I have following questions:
1. What is career scope with above universities in applied mechanics and which one is better? I think Chalmers, right?
2. I do not know any foreign language so will there be any problem in Sweden during study and beyond?

Tagging seniors
deathspectre
gowthamtce

11-14-2012 08:59 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
gowthamtce Offline
Profile Evaluator of the Year-2012

gowthamtce Offline

Likes Given: 1
RE: Fall 13 | MSc | Mech | GRE 317 | TOEFL 95 | UG 8.93
Applied mechanics and design course is good in both KTH and chalmers, KTH is internationally reputed and good chances of getting a job with a degree from KTH. Well few swedish companies need swedish proficiency but most of the companies don't need other languages. Everyone in sweden speaks english so you feel comfortable.

If you like the course structure in Chalmers then you can apply there, I'm not against chalmers but I just want you to know KTH is the best technical university in Sweden.

M.Sc Sustainable Energy Engineering at KTH , Sweden and EPFL, Switzerland
Tag me for profile evaluation
11-16-2012 02:36 AM
edumaster Offline
Edulix Active Member

edumaster Offline
Edulix Active Member

(11-16-2012 02:36 AM)gowthamtce Wrote:  Applied mechanics and design course is good in both KTH and chalmers, KTH is internationally reputed and good chances of getting a job with a degree from KTH. Well few swedish companies need swedish proficiency but most of the companies don't need other languages. Everyone in sweden speaks english so you feel comfortable.

If you like the course structure in Chalmers then you can apply there, I'm not against chalmers but I just want you to know KTH is the best technical university in Sweden.

gowthamtce
Thank you very much for your help!!
Can you tell me what are my chances of getting admit from KTH and Chalmers, from above profile?
Some people said that Chalmer's location is close to many good auto companies so it is easier to get summer internships and jobs, that's why I chose Chalmers. Actually, I do not have much info about future career in Sweden; universities give info, but that's related to academics. If you can suggest me ways to find future career info, it would be very helpful for me.
Thanks again

(This post was last modified: 11-16-2012 08:07 AM by edumaster.)
11-16-2012 07:48 AM
full_throttle Offline
New Edulixian

full_throttle Offline
New Edulixian

hi,
sorry if i'm barging in on someone's post, but i have some doubts on similar lines that i wanna ask gowthamtce.

while applying in the universityadmissions.se website, as a part of the reqd. documents, the site mentioned that i should submit documents related to the specific entry requirements, if the univ has any. in chalmers' website, for automotive engg. and applied mech, etc. such requirements have been mentioned. i just wanted what the chances of an admit are, if i haven't completed all of them. my major is industrial engg., and in my institute, the course does not include thermodynamics, fluids, etc.

in comparison, KTH didn't mention any such requirements explicitly. what would my chances be in KTH? if my chances are not so good in these, could you suggest alternative univs (in any country), where they might be?

these issues have caused a huge confusion in my application process, because the application fee are reasonably high. thanks a lot for your help, i can't tell you how much it means to me.

(This post was last modified: 11-17-2012 06:52 AM by full_throttle.)
11-17-2012 06:07 AM
gowthamtce Offline

gowthamtce Offline

Likes Given: 1
edumaster Yeah Chalmers location is a great boon to them, Its true that you will get summer internship in volvo, scania etc if you study in chalmers.
Job scenario is not predictable in whole of europe. Its depends on individual's skill.

full_throttle You should not interfere in others profile evaluation thread, but i will reply as its the 1st time. Well Chalmers is bit concern with these credits issue. But if you apply KTH it wont be a problem at all. IIT tag will also help, because KTH is IIT's partner university.

M.Sc Sustainable Energy Engineering at KTH , Sweden and EPFL, Switzerland
Tag me for profile evaluation
11-17-2012 10:18 PM
full_throttle Offline
New Edulixian

full_throttle Offline
New Edulixian

Quote:@[full_throttle] You should not interfere in others profile evaluation thread, but i will reply as its the 1st time. Well Chalmers is bit concern with these credits issue. But if you apply KTH it wont be a problem at all. IIT tag will also help, because KTH is IIT's partner university.

first and the last time, gowthamtce. i didn't know at that time, so i apologize. Embarassed
i created a thread of my own, where i tagged you as well, so please visit and reply to that too.
so what you're saying is, Chalmers will reject my application?
thank you very much for understanding that it's my first time. edumaster, i'll be out of your hair now. Smile

(This post was last modified: 11-18-2012 05:08 AM by full_throttle.)
11-18-2012 05:07 AM
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this thread