Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
Studying in Germany : FAQs about Engineering Programs
anuragm Away

anuragm Away

Likes Given: 10
Unisearch: Link
Studying in Germany : FAQs about Engineering Programs
The following is a transcript of a chat session held today that aims to answer general questions about studying/research in Germany. Even though this information is already available here, most people keep coming up with similar queries. Hence, the post.

Moderator: Hello and welcome to the chat with Alexandra Raunig and Philip Miessner, organized by the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD)

Please note that short and precise questions have better chances to get picked. The reason is simple: We want our guest to be short and precise with their replies as well Wink

Inar Nasraddinov:
Good day, I'm a third year studying Geophysics at Azerbaijan State Oil Academy. I would like to know about the process for applying for scholarships for international students. More precisely, what documents are required for students study in Geophysics to apply for Master's degree programs. In other words, what are the first steps of the process in my field of studies? Thanks.

Alexandra Raunig: For any kind of scholarships for a study program in Germany, we would like to encourage you to have a very close look at the DAAD scholarship databank where you will find lots of information on different kinds of scholarships as well as hints about the application process etc.:..
https://www.daad.de/deutschland/stipendium/en/
Regarding your question about an application for a Master´s Degree Program:
As the requirements vary from program to program and university to university, we would recommend you to check all the universities / programs of interest...
(you should start with the DAAD databank: https://www.daad.de/deutschland/studienangebote/en/ )
Please inform yourself very well about the course content, specialization - and application requirements before you then apply...
We hope this helps? Smile

die Technik: What are the admission criteria for masters in automotive & mechanical engineering courses.Also what is the weightage of following in admission process: 1)TestDaf(which german language level is commonly required for masters program in german & english) 2)GRE score(Does any college accept it for admission .If yes can you please provide List of those universities for above courses) 3)AGPA/Aggregate score of B.E.(how much is normally required) 4)TOFEL/IELTS(which type of university require it).

Philip Miessner: (Philip Miessner) Concerning admission to automotive / mechanical engineering at RWTH Aachen University (likely similar at TU-9 universities, but please check with the respective homepages): 1) Test DaF 4x4 points (or equivalent tests), 2) GRE Score - we do not need GRE scores; 3) AGPA: Not required; 4) TOEFL/IELTS: not needed (since our graduate programs are currently offered in German only).

Omar Saleh: Hello sir,I study in Arab Academy for Science and Technology Faculty of Engineering first semester. I want to study Mechanical Engineering in German university , which is the best university for my field? Could you please tell me what are my chances of getting scholarship for undergraduate course in Germany?

Philip Miessner: (Philip Miessner) The choice of the "best-suited university" depends on your individual interests and preferences (e.g. specializations offered in your program). The well-reputed technical universities in Germany have formed a strategic alliance, the TU-9. Find more information here: http://www.tu9.de. Scholarship opportunities depend on the university and your program.

rachid_128: I want to know the steps to follow to enter a doctoral program in Germany. thank you in advance.

Alexandra Raunig: There are many different opportunities to do a PhD program in Germany....
Lots of information can be found in the DAAD database at:
https://www.daad.de/deutschland/promotion/en/

Karthik S: Sir, Its a dream for me to study & to work in Germany. I have applied to some master courses in Automotive Engineering. But as far as the discussions in the social networking sites, getting admitted to german universities seemed to be tough. I am an Automotive professional with 5.5 years of experience in Auto MNC OEM. I would like to know the chances of getting admit & wat criteria being expected by the universities apart from the general requirement. Please do guide. Thank you

Philip Miessner: (Philip Miessner) Our admission criteria in mechanical engineering at RWTH Aachen University are mostly based on the depth of your previously-acquired knowledge in specific engineering fields (e.g. in Mechanics, Mathematics, Machine Design, Fluid Mechanics, Thermodynamics etc.). We do not have a grade requirement for our Mechanical Engineering master programs (or a GRE minimum score, for that matter). German language skills are also mandatory.

Juan.: Good Afternoon, I have a Bachelor's Degree in Civil Engineering from a country that doesn't belong to the E.U. What do I need to do to become my diploma as valid in Germany so that I can be accepted in Master's programme?

Philip Miessner: (Philip Miessner) At our university (RWTH Aachen University), our International Office is in charge of determining whether your diploma is sufficient for an application for one of our programs. If the diploma is in itself accepted (e.g. as an equivalent to a EU bachelor's degree), you would still need to meet your program's admission criteria. I imagine this to be quite similar at other universities in Germany

Alexandra Raunig: If you apply e.g. from Colombia, you would need to get an apostille and send it along with the rest of your application documents...
Many universities offer a first online application...
at Offenburg University of Applied Sciences you may apply through our online application system OASIS at: http://www.hs-offenburg.de/gs

Sameer: is it mandatory to have complete Deutsch knowledge to participate in research activities at RWTH and other TU9 universities? if i have limited Deutsch proficiency, will i still be allowed to work at the university research institutions?

Philip Miessner: In Mechanical Engineering at RWTH at least, our programs on the bachelor/master level are predominantly German-taught. Therefore, we require a sound proficiency in German at the time of application (e.g. Test DaF 4x4 points). If you wish to come to RWTH as an exchange student doing primarily research (e.g. thesis work), you may do so in English (if your supervisor agrees). If you join us as a doctoral candidate, you may also conduct your project in English - if your supervising professor agrees. In all cases, German knowledge is highly recommended in order for you to communicate with fellow students, co-workers, colleagues and to get along in daily life in Aachen.

EDIT: Comment by nimbus_2000
Quote: I think the mod wasn't very well informed about the graduate courses at RWTH. They actually do offer Graduate programs in English for Mechanical Engineering graduates. In fact, they are starting the Automotive Engineering course from this Winter Semester at RWTH. It is completely in English and you don't require to write TestDaF for it. At the same time RWTH International Academy offers CAME, PSE and MEPS courses for mech guys.
Source: http://www.ika.rwth-aachen.de/lehre/mast...l-info.php

Alexandra Raunig: There are also a lot of programs, mainly Master´s Degree Programs, taught in English - you may have a very close look at the DAAD database at: https://www.daad.de/deutschland/studiena...ograms/de/ . For example: Offenburg University of AS offers four international Master´s Degree programs in English, where you can live in German(y) and study in English. However, even if it not required for your study course, it is very helpful and importantfor your daily life in Germany to be able to communicate in German outside of the campus...
That is why e.g. Offenburg University of AS offers German language courses in the summer before the beginning of the semester and also during the whole study course.

Himanshu S: As far we know DAAD application deadline is 1st October and yes after successful application one could enroll in September/October 2014.But my plan is to enroll in this year or till January 2014 and I also need funding.Is it possible to get funding this year if i produce letter of acceptance from some university.

Philip Miessner: At RWTH in Mechanical Engineering, many doctoral candidates work as research assistants at a professor's institute - funding is therefore not so much an issue, as they will receive a regular salary. You may find scholarship opportunities in the DAAD database: https://www.daad.de/deutschland/stipendi...olarships/
At RWTH, we have a database for scholarships as well - I am sure other universities offer similar databases: http://www.rwth-aachen.de/cms/main/root/...ng/?lidx=1

Antony: I have completed electronics and communication engineering and i would like to do my masters ,i would like to know the admission procedures in details and want to know weather i will get the scholarships too for studying my masters

Alexandra Raunig: At Offenburg University of AS we offer the international Master´s Degree Program Communication and Media Engineering...
You can have a closer look at the website at: http://www.hs-offenburg.de/en/internatio...ering-cme/ ...
If you like the program, please apply online at: https://oasis.fh-offenburg.de/client/index.jsp ...
Once you have passed the first stage, you will be asked to hand in your paper based application documents
There are no tuition fees at institutions of higher education in the state of Baden-Württemberg...
Generally there are no scholarships offered by universities, but...
there are many possibilities to get a scholarship...
for more information please have a very close look at the DAAD website: https://www.daad.de/deutschland/stipendium/en/

anas khan: what is the duration of engineering program in germany?

Philip Miessner: At RWTH Aachen University, our bachelor programs in Mechanical Engineering take 3,5 years to complete (7 semesters). Other engineering programs (e.g. electrical engineering) take only 6 semesters to complete on the bachelor's level. Our mechanical engineering master's program takes 3 semesters to complete (in electrical engineering at RWTH, 4 semester). So at RWTH: 10 semesters until your master's (7+3) in Mechanical Engineering. If I am not mistaken, a bachelor program duration of 6 semesters, followed up on by a master's program of 4 semesters, is far more common than our "7+3" structure.

Lalo: Which is the oldest age to apply to a Masters Programm in Germany?

Philip Miessner: There is no legal age limit for our master's programs. However, it might be disadvantageous if you have not been in an educational program or environment for a while. In my opinion it might be tricky to switch back to a learning-focused way of living

Kishore Kumar: Dear Sirs, I want to know if studying in Hochschule or Facchocschule would pave a way for PhD in Germany? Or is only a degree from TUs and Universitaten valid for PhD study. Thank you.

Philip Miessner: At RWTH / Mechanical Engineering, you may also apply for admission to a doctorate if you have a "Fachhochschul"-degree (Master of Science, Master of Engineering etc.). However, our faculty will ask you, in this case, to complete some additional exams before the prerequisites for doctoral "study" are accredited. By the way, this procedure is very similar to the procedure international (that is: non-EU) degree holders will have to apply for.

Alexandra Raunig: Graduating from a Hochschule or Fachhochschule will enable you to pursue a PhD, in cooperation with a university. At Offenburg University of AS e.g. there exists a cooperation with Freiburg university and we do indeed have about 20 (also international) PhD students.

gunah: I am forth year student majoring in Automotive and Mechanical engineering in South Korea. I think one of the big issues for everyone on studying abroad is "Money". Is the salary as a research assistant enough to afford the cost of living in Germany while doing the master?

Alexandra Raunig: In Germany, compared to other European countries, the living costs are quite reasonable, however it depends a lot on the region / city in which you live. In smaller cities like Offenburg, a monthly budget of about 750 EUR should be sufficient.
As a student, you may work during 120 full days per year...
in any kind of job to be able to earn some additional living funds.

piojoadrian: Hello, Is there any chance to receive a complete portfolio of all the master programs that will start next winter semester 2013? Thanks in advance

Philip Miessner: Here's a link for all of our programs at RWTH:
http://www.rwth-aachen.de/cms/main/root/...ge/?lidx=1

Alexandra Raunig: Offenburg University of AS offers four English taught Master´s Degree Programs: http://www.hs-offenburg.de/en/internatio...-programs/
You may also check for general information in Germany: http://www.gate-germany.de/international-programmes

Moderator: Unfortunately, our time is nearly up. Is there anything, you would like to say in conclusion?

Alexandra Raunig:
Thank you very much for your interest - and come to Germany, we would be happy to welcome you here soon!

Philip Miessner: Thank you for participating in your chat! We'd be glad to receive your applications for one of our programs - you're most welcome!

EDIT: Thanks to nimbus_2000 for his comments.

(This post was last modified: 07-22-2017 09:04 PM by nimbus_2000.)
04-25-2013 08:59 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
raving_bonkers Offline
Edulix Senior Member

raving_bonkers Offline
Edulix Senior Member

Likes Given: 0
RE: Studying in Germany : FAQs about Engineering Programs
ApplauseApplauseApplauseApplauseApplause

Side by side in silence. Without a single word...
It's the loudest sound. It's the loudest sound...
It's the loudest sound I ever heard...

Blog : http://conflatedthoughts.blogspot.ca/
Waterloo Fall'13 group : https://www.facebook.com/groups/459480714130558/
04-25-2013 10:15 PM
electricity Offline
Edulix Active Member

electricity Offline
Edulix Active Member

good one. anurag
04-25-2013 10:35 PM
das_german Offline
Edulix Senior Member

das_german Offline
Edulix Senior Member

Good post. Applause Applause I was only focusing on my question. How selfish of me. Laughing

DAAD Website. Period.
04-25-2013 10:53 PM
nimbus_2000 Offline
Edulix Distinguished Contributor

nimbus_2000 Offline

Likes Given: 3
(04-25-2013 08:59 PM)anuragm Wrote:  ]
die Technik: What are the admission criteria for masters in automotive & mechanical engineering courses.Also what is the weightage of following in admission process: 1)TestDaf(which german language level is commonly required for masters program in german & english) 2)GRE score(Does any college accept it for admission .If yes can you please provide List of those universities for above courses) 3)AGPA/Aggregate score of B.E.(how much is normally required) 4)TOFEL/IELTS(which type of university require it).

Philip Miessner: (Philip Miessner) Concerning admission to automotive / mechanical engineering at RWTH Aachen University (likely similar at TU-9 universities, but please check with the respective homepages): 1) Test DaF 4x4 points (or equivalent tests), 2) GRE Score - we do not need GRE scores; 3) AGPA: Not required; 4) TOEFL/IELTS: not needed (since our graduate programs are currently offered in German only).

I think the mod wasn't very well informed about the graduate courses at RWTH. They actually do offer Graduate programs in English for Mechanical Engineering graduates. In fact, they are starting the Automotive Engineering course from this Winter Semester at RWTH. It is completely in English and you don't require to write TestDaF for it. At the same time RWTH International Academy offers CAME, PSE and MEPS courses for mech guys.

04-25-2013 11:25 PM
tamilturbos Offline
Edulix Active Member

tamilturbos Offline
Edulix Active Member

anuragm good one. Thanks for sharing.
04-26-2013 06:43 AM
jsravya Offline
Edulix Super Senior

jsravya Offline
Edulix Super Senior

Very informative. Thank you for sharing.
nimbus_2000 is right. There are a lot of masters courses in RWTH offered in english.

Don't take life too seriously, you won't get out alive.

Destination:U of Stuttgart(COMMAS)
Esslingen(ASM,DDM) RWTH(CAME)
RUHR(Comp Engg) TU Dortmund(MMT)
(This post was last modified: 07-22-2017 09:05 PM by nimbus_2000.)
04-26-2013 08:26 AM
anuragm Away

anuragm Away

jsravya, nimbus_2000 The original question was about Automotive-related programs at RWTH taught in English. You will find that the answer given in the above discussion is, indeed, correct. The Automotive Engineering program is actually offered by RWTH International Academy, which is a private company.

For a complete list of engineering related master programs at RWTH taught in English, you can have a look at the following URL:
https://www.daad.de/deutschland/studiena...ograms/de/

(This post was last modified: 07-22-2017 09:05 PM by nimbus_2000.)
04-26-2013 12:30 PM
nimbus_2000 Offline

nimbus_2000 Offline

(04-26-2013 12:30 PM)anuragm Wrote:  jsravya, nimbus_2000 The original question was about Automotive-related programs at RWTH taught in English. You will find that the answer given in the above discussion is, indeed, correct. The Automotive Engineering program is actually offered by RWTH International Academy, which is a private company.

For a complete list of engineering related master programs at RWTH taught in English, you can have a look at the following URL:
https://www.daad.de/deutschland/studiena...ograms/de/

anuragm

That was true till 2011. The Automotive Engineering Masters program in English was being offered by the RWTH International Academy. They were charging 3700 Euros per semester for the course. The course was discontinued in 2012 and from this year onwards i.e. Winter Semester 2013, the Automotive Engineering course in English is being offered by RWTH Aachen University in association with IKA. There is also no tuition fees for the course from this year onwards.
Source: http://www.ika.rwth-aachen.de/lehre/mast...l-info.php

Quote:1 Automotive Engineering

This is an overview of the English-taught master programme “Automotive Engineering”. It is part of RWTH Aachen University’s master programmes in mechanical engineering and is a public master programme (i.e. not part of the private programmes at RWTH International Academy) alongside the German-taught programmes.

(This post was last modified: 07-22-2017 09:06 PM by nimbus_2000.)
04-26-2013 01:05 PM
anuragm Away

anuragm Away

Ok. I wasn't aware of it. Thanks for pointing that out.

04-26-2013 01:25 PM
das_german Offline
Edulix Senior Member

das_german Offline
Edulix Senior Member

I'm adding a link from study-in.de website about important links on studying in Germany. http://www.study-in.de/en/--22530

I hope this will be useful.

DAAD Website. Period.
04-26-2013 07:49 PM
The Khula Saand Offline
Best EduName

The Khula Saand Offline
Best EduName

anurag sir good thread ,it will hepl out lot of german applicants ApplauseApplauseApplause

No more active on Edulix
04-26-2013 08:30 PM
nimbus_2000 Offline

nimbus_2000 Offline

gaurav wagh

Wow! Rolling Eyes Shouldn't you have researched all these things before actually applying to the university? No one here is going to be able to answer these questions for you.

(06-27-2013 09:21 AM)gaurav wagh Wrote:  i have got an admit for cme course in offenburg.
my queries,
1)how recognized is the university?
2)what are the job prospects?
3)is it that the university needing students...?
4)is its location a big issue...?

06-27-2013 09:47 AM
picovishnu Offline
Edulix Frequent User

picovishnu Offline
Edulix Frequent User

(06-27-2013 09:47 AM)nimbus_2000 Wrote:  @[gaurav wagh]

Wow! Rolling Eyes Shouldn't you have researched all these things before actually applying to the university? No one here is going to be able to answer these questions for you.

(06-27-2013 09:21 AM)gaurav wagh Wrote:  i have got an admit for cme course in offenburg.
my queries,
1)how recognized is the university?
2)what are the job prospects?
3)is it that the university needing students...?
4)is its location a big issue...?
OMG, I have not yet received my DB yet. Worried.
Pls do share your experience in VFS and
Is there a need to book appointment at vfs for booking Visa Interview slot for german studen visa.
Can the fee(howmuch?) be paid through cash(or is DD necessary).
Is confirmation from DB blocked account necessary to book a VI slot .
Can photographs be taken at VFS.
Is german translation needed for cover letter
What are the applications to be filled (Is it available on consulate webpage)

Pls do answer my questions above and sorry for the long list.
(This post was last modified: 07-22-2017 09:06 PM by nimbus_2000.)
06-29-2013 11:42 AM
expert_ Offline
Edulix Frequent User

expert_ Offline
Edulix Frequent User

does this means there are only 6 programmes in whole germany about MS in wireless field as it shows here in this page ?

07-27-2013 08:59 AM
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this thread