The A to Z about Visa policy in the European Union
spiketospica Offline
Administrator

spiketospica Offline
Administrator

Likes Given: 0
Unisearch: Link
RE: The A to Z about Visa policy in the European Union
Technically, you can find a job anywhere in the world. There are no restrictions on that. In continental Europe, because of the Schengen agreement, you can move around freely without restrictions, so you can graduate in France and go attend an interview in Stockholm without any restriction. So as long as you abide by the rules of your visa/residence permit (i.e. you should not spend more than 3 months out of a 6 month period as a tourist in a Schengen country), it doesn't matter. It's just a mere technicality and convenience that you can move around freely.

If you find a job in another country (other than the one you studied in), I suppose you should apply for a residence permit of that country. I do not think you should have a problem, since you are not illegally present in that country. However, you should abide by the local laws and minimum wage requirements. I think Germany's minimum wage requirements are much lower than in some other countries.

Fall '14 applicant. Energy/Resources.

New to Edulix? Please fill your Infobank first!
Read the profile evaluation guidelines for Spring/Fall 2015.
Tag people like this: @[spiketospica]

Please avoid sending PMs. Ask your questions on the forum where it can be preserved for future applicants. Please send PMs only if I request you to, or if you require some administrative help on the forum.
12-16-2014 03:06 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
exelency Offline
New Edulixian

exelency Offline
New Edulixian

I must say all guys especially Rogue you have shared awesome posts and help me to know about the visa policies. After reading this thread my knowledge has been increased enough. I will tell all these points to my uncle for his information because he was thinking to go abroad.
04-25-2015 10:40 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
ronybony1990 Offline
New Edulixian

ronybony1990 Offline
New Edulixian

undefined
(This post was last modified: 04-26-2015 11:19 PM by ronybony1990.)
04-26-2015 11:17 PM
ronybony90 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

ronybony90 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

It will be much helpful if you guys could shed some light on much money do I need to show to get a extended visa for staying in Germany and France after graduation from those countries.

Tagging ddd17 for France and cneha1991 and ritz90 for Germany.

ddd17 could you also elaborate the recent 5 year visa extension period in France for Indian students graduating from French Unis. Does it mean we Indian students get 5 year to stay there and search for jobs?

Other seniors may tag the relevant person espcially for French visas, please
(This post was last modified: 04-26-2015 11:23 PM by ronybony90.)
04-26-2015 11:21 PM
ritz90 Offline
Edulix Active Member

ritz90 Offline
Edulix Active Member

For Germany, this is the text copied from the administrative department website.
Quote:Looking for work/ gainful employment on completion of your studies
After successfully completing your academic studies at a German university, you essentially have free access to the labor market. Your residence permit may be renewed for up to 18 months to enable you to look and apply for a position in keeping with your academic degree. To apply for such a renewal, you must submit proof of successful completion of your studies, adequate funding and adequate health insurance. As an alternative to the above requirement for proof of funding, your income from lower-skilled employment (such as an internship or unskilled work) may also be accepted. While you are looking for a permanent job, there are no restrictions on your freedom to engage in other forms of gainful employment.
In short you can search for a job for 18 months after your studies. And the amount required is 659 euros/month. Although if you have some other employment, that can also be shown for the proof of income. [/quote]

My Infobank | My VI |
Infobank Tutorial
------------------
Summer 2015 (MSc)
---------------------------
TU Munich - Informatics | Saarland University - CS & VC | TU Kaiserslautern - CS
Erasmus Mundus Master's Programme in Security and Mobile Computing (NordSec)
Tag me for CS profiles for Germany
04-26-2015 11:32 PM
Outbound Offline
Edulix Frequent User

Outbound Offline
Edulix Frequent User

Likes Given: 1
ddd17 could you also elaborate the recent 5 year visa extension period in France for Indian students graduating from French Unis. Does it mean we Indian students get 5 year to stay there and search for jobs?

Other seniors may tag the relevant person espcially for French visas, please
[/quote]

This is a very relevant question. I hope seniors can answer it.

05-08-2015 06:45 PM
ddd17 Offline
Edulix Senior Member

ddd17 Offline
Edulix Senior Member

I am not aware of it..and have been very busy lately..I will go through it later

Erasmus Mundus PhD researcher(Italy, Spain, Luxembourg)
Past(2013-2015): Erasmus Mundus Master Graduate(France, Finland, Russia, Sweden)

Tag me to get my attention. Evaluating only EU CS profiles. You can also refer me for EU visa queries(have managed 5 visas in last 2 years)
I can give my opinion and suggestions about Profile Evaluations but can't comment on Mod, Ambi and Safe for each university(that's the States, not EU). Cheers

http://edulix.com/unisearch/user.php?uid=173475
05-09-2015 01:45 AM
devmishra Offline
Edulix Frequent User

devmishra Offline
Edulix Frequent User

Quite a helpful thread Rogue . Great Effort!

A few queries though.

1) Is the Category D visa(different name for different countries I guess?) the same as the residence permit?

2) From what I gathered from the thread and else where, the Cat D visa/Residence Permit can be used to travel in the Schengen countries, if your are not spending more than 3 months in any given 6 month period in one country. The description in your first post says differently though. Please correct me if I am wrong.

"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you are no longer a racing driver" - Senna

My Infobank
05-09-2015 11:12 PM
Rogue Offline
Administrator

Rogue Offline
Administrator

Likes Given: 6
The Category D visa is what you get stamped on your passport. It's a long stay visa. You have to get your residence permit once you get to your destination country. They are not the same.

The Category D visa is valid only for a certain period from the time of issue (3 months if I am not wrong). Within that period you have to obtain your residence permit. Till the time you don't have your residence permit your Cat D visa allows your to travel to any other Schengen country but since it is valid only for a period of 3 months, I guess you can not spend more than 3 months in another country with the Cat D visa. In that case you must possess a valid residence permit.

If you have a valid residence permit then you can spend more than 3 months in another Schengen country wthout the need to obtain a separate residence permit for that country. I have known my friends who have lived in Germany for their internships for a period of 5-6 months and they had a valid Dutch RP so a German RP was not needed for them.

PhD, Helmholtz-Zentrum Berlin für Materialien und Energie(HZB)
ChemE|UG internships|Profile|EU Visas
05-09-2015 11:28 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
coolredwine Offline
Edulix Frequent User

coolredwine Offline
Edulix Frequent User

Alright, so I need a little help regarding the EU Visa.

I have been accepted in a French University. However, my first semester will take place in Turin, Italy and the second semester will take place in Paris, France. The degree will be awarded in Paris via the French Ministry.

Now, my question is, since I will be applying for an Italian visa and then converting it into a student resident permit, can I use the same to migrate and attend the 2nd semester to France? Or would I have to come back to India and then apply again?

Also, since I graduate in France, but the port of entry is Italy, am I eligible for the student visa extension in France?

Kindly help.
05-11-2015 09:11 PM
Rogue Offline
Administrator

Rogue Offline
Administrator

Likes Given: 6
I think it is best if you speak to somebody who is pursuing an Erasmus Mundus program because they are more familiar with how to handle the visa issues in case of the mobility program.

Sorry that I do not know too much details to guide you properly.

PhD, Helmholtz-Zentrum Berlin für Materialien und Energie(HZB)
ChemE|UG internships|Profile|EU Visas
05-11-2015 10:05 PM
coolredwine Offline
Edulix Frequent User

coolredwine Offline
Edulix Frequent User

(05-11-2015 10:05 PM)Rogue Wrote:  I think it is best if you speak to somebody who is pursuing an Erasmus Mundus program because they are more familiar with how to handle the visa issues in case of the mobility program.

Sorry that I do not know too much details to guide you properly.

Thanks for the reply. I see that ddd17 is in France, but he/she is busy. Could you link me to someone else, if possible?
(This post was last modified: 05-11-2015 10:15 PM by coolredwine.)
05-11-2015 10:15 PM
ronybony90 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

ronybony90 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

coolredwine i have not started the visa process yet; but i can give you my 2 cents. My first year is in Spain and 2nd year in France. The Erusmus Mundus people have stated to me that i need to apply for spanish long term student visa. Upon arrival i will have to apply for resident permit. They have suggested me to get my french visa too from india itself. They have also stated in case i dont apply for french visa in India, I can apply for the same from Spain itself.

So no, you dont have to return to India for applying to French visa. And no, you cannot migrate your italian residense permit to french residence permit. You will need to have a French visa before entering France and a fresh residence permit for staying in France.

In any case ask your course coordinator regarding your queries and they will be able to give you the most accurate answer
05-12-2015 08:05 PM
coolredwine Offline
Edulix Frequent User

coolredwine Offline
Edulix Frequent User

(05-12-2015 08:05 PM)ronybony90 Wrote:  @[coolredwine] i have not started the visa process yet; but i can give you my 2 cents. My first year is in Spain and 2nd year in France. The Erusmus Mundus people have stated to me that i need to apply for spanish long term student visa. Upon arrival i will have to apply for resident permit. They have suggested me to get my french visa too from india itself. They have also stated in case i dont apply for french visa in India, I can apply for the same from Spain itself.

So no, you dont have to return to India for applying to French visa. And no, you cannot migrate your italian residense permit to french residence permit. You will need to have a French visa before entering France and a fresh residence permit for staying in France.

In any case ask your course coordinator regarding your queries and they will be able to give you the most accurate answer

Oh, okay. Thanks for the reply.

But how would you apply for the French visa an year in advance? (in my case, 6 months)

My admission coordinator has told me that I need to have a general Schengen VISA (I am guessing she meant the short stay one) and then apply for resident permit in each country. (she got this information from the Indian embassy in Italy). That's what left me confused.

Out of interest, which university are you attending?
05-14-2015 02:52 PM
ddd17 Offline
Edulix Senior Member

ddd17 Offline
Edulix Senior Member

Hi. coolredwineSee below.

Now, my question is, since I will be applying for an Italian visa and then converting it into a student resident permit, can I use the same to migrate and attend the 2nd semester to France? Or would I have to come back to India and then apply again?

No you cannot study in France with Italian visa or residence permit. During your semester in Italy, you will have to apply for French visa probably Category D Etudiant with OFII, which will be titre de sejour from a French Embassy or Consulate in Italy. After going to France, within 3 months you will need to do the OFII procedure, and they will put a sticker on your passport which will be your residence permit. Don't worry it won't be a problem. You won't need to come back to India in any case.

Also, since I graduate in France, but the port of entry is Italy, am I eligible for the student visa extension in France?

Visa extension depends on if you are studying for a French degree...which you are, so you should be eligible for that.

(05-11-2015 09:11 PM)coolredwine Wrote:  Alright, so I need a little help regarding the EU Visa.

I have been accepted in a French University. However, my first semester will take place in Turin, Italy and the second semester will take place in Paris, France. The degree will be awarded in Paris via the French Ministry.

Kindly help.

Erasmus Mundus PhD researcher(Italy, Spain, Luxembourg)
Past(2013-2015): Erasmus Mundus Master Graduate(France, Finland, Russia, Sweden)

Tag me to get my attention. Evaluating only EU CS profiles. You can also refer me for EU visa queries(have managed 5 visas in last 2 years)
I can give my opinion and suggestions about Profile Evaluations but can't comment on Mod, Ambi and Safe for each university(that's the States, not EU). Cheers

http://edulix.com/unisearch/user.php?uid=173475
(This post was last modified: 05-14-2015 05:57 PM by ddd17.)
05-14-2015 05:56 PM
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this thread