Information on Health Insurance
Seprac Offline
Edulix Senior Member

Seprac Offline
Edulix Senior Member

Likes Given: 0
Unisearch: Link
Information on Health Insurance
I found this PDF on internet and couldn't resist sharing it with people. Especially for people like me who are very anxious about this. Don't know whether you are already aware of this...

Quote:INSURANCE INFORMATION
Disclaimer: The information provided here are our personal opinions. We do not take responsibility for the accuracy and the validity of the information provided in this document. We do not endorse any of the brands mentioned in the document. You are completely free to make your own choice about health insurance.

Health insurance in Germany:
It is compulsory for everyone, including students and working professionals, to have health insurance in Germany. Such an insurance cover is meant to reduce the direct cost of medical treatment, which is in general very expensive in Germany. One has the following options:

1. Public Insurance in Germany:ï‚·
This insurance is highly subsidized by the state so that one gets maximum benefits for an affordable insurance price. It has been established for the purpose of avoiding a health problem from escalating in to a financial catastrophe. As such, 85% of the people in Germany are covered by such a public insurance. It is compulsory for every individual in Germany with an income under a fixed slab (around 52,200€ gross - fixed every year) to be covered by public insurance. Here are the following points to be kept in mind about the public insurances:
ï‚· There are many companies which offer public health insurance. In Aachen, most students are covered by the Techniker Krankenkasse (TK) and Allgemeine Ortskrankenkasse (AOK).
ï‚· All these insurance schemes charge the same monthly premium for a student, which is an amount of 77.01 Euros (upto 23 years of age) and 78.50 Euros (age 24 onwards)
ï‚· Consultation visits to a general practitioner are covered by the public insurance. If you become so ill that you have to be hospitalized, the costs of treatment are for the most also covered by your insurance.

2. Insurance from private insurance firms in Germany:
This is for self-employed residents and for professionals earning more than the financial slab (52,200 Euros per year). The logic behind this is that such people are willing to pay higher premiums for some extra cover or benefits. The benefits are directly proportional to the installments one pays. Surely there are cheap private insurance schemes available, but these plans need not necessarily provide the same basic cover like public insurance schemes.
Also there is no guarantee that like public insurances you will not have to pay upfront for the treatment you receive. Private insurance works according to the principle, that the insured individual receives a billed statement for all medical services that he/she avails of. It is the individual’s responsibility to make contact with the insurance company and discuss which costs will be covered. So paperwork is almost always a given.

Insurance from India:
There are many well-known insurance firms in India who provide student insurance to students
coming in to Germany. On first glance, they appear relatively cheaper than the German insurance,
but have many disadvantages associated with them that are explained below under FAQs.
Note: If a student opts for any insurance other than public insurance, then the student is not permitted to switch to public insurance during the course of studies. Also, insurance policies from India might not be recognized by German companies, when the student plans on an internship or job at the concerned company. Not every student faces this problem but it is more about inconvenience for the company when you don’t have a German insurance, and may result in more costs for the student during the duration of employment at the company.

Few FAQs:
1. What are the advantages of Public insurance in Germany?
ï‚· The biggest advantage of choosing a public insurance in Germany is that of ACCEPTANCE. Public insurance is accepted everywhere.
ï‚· Every member receives an electronic card on the basis of which you can be treated NO QUESTIONS ASKED at any hospital in almost all EU countries.
ï‚· There is no money reimbursement concept. The amount is directly paid by the insurance to the concerned party. The member does NOT have to give an advance of any sort.
ï‚· At the time of starting student assistantship (HiWi job) and internship in the industry, it is required to submit your Social pension security ID (Rentenversicherungausweis). This can be got only from a public insurance firm.
ï‚· From taxation point of view, later converting to EU permanent resident / citizen, it is highly advised to take public insurance as a certain minimum time criteria may be needed to be fulfilled.
2. What are the disadvantages of public insurance in Germany?
As such there is NO DISADVANTAGE involved with public insurance. The costs involved are standardized and should be considered as mandatory costs for living in Germany.
3. What are the advantages of getting insurance from India?
The only thinkable advantage may be in terms of money. However, the risks involved are high and the disadvantages easily outweigh the advantages.
4. What are the disadvantages of getting insurance from India?
ï‚· The primary disadvantage is that it may be CONSIDERED INVALID by some hospitals / clinics / companies etc. This may lead to unforeseen complications not only regarding emergency medical treatment but also while getting student jobs, internships and employment after studies.
ï‚· All health costs have to be borne by person involved before they are later reimbursed by or claimed from the insurance company. Therefore, the person involved will have to pay all the bills at first. This is not easy as the receipt of even a small stay in a German hospital can costs thousands of Euros. Liquidity in such times is a prime concern. There is also uncertainty about the amount that the Indian insurance company is willing to reimburse.
ï‚· Unnecessary amounts of paperwork involved.
ï‚· Insurance may not be valid in other EU countries.

It is not possible to shift from insurance from India to a German public insurance. It has to be done AT THE TIME of enrollment and not later, as the rule is that you cannot get Public health insurance once you have taken a waiver from it. This later leaves the choice only for private insurance, which for similar benefits, is generally way more expensive.
ï‚· We also urge you to consider the fact that all students coming in the new batches are coming with a blocked account. In the unfortunate event that a student needs to be hospitalized, the liquidity of funds would be a major issue as costs are enormous. Even friends might not be able to help owing to limit of withdrawal on blocked accounts.
5. Is travel insurance valid as health insurance?
Travel insurance is valid only until you get your Residence permit in Germany.
6. When does public health insurance come into effect?
As the semester in Germany starts in October, the public insurance comes into effect from 1st October.
7. Do I have to pay for a visit to the Doctor with public insurance?
No!! All visits to the Doctor are free in case you have a public insurance.
8. Do I have to pay for medicines with public insurance?
One gets certain medicines for free. Other medicines are subsidized.
Now remains one important question: why are foreign health insurances so much less expensive than German health insurances? Of course there are differences in the coverage that cause a different computation of risk for the insurance company to be asked to pay out of the insurance coverage. But what makes a German insurance also so much more expensive is that they build up a capital stock for the insured early on in order to make sure that health costs do not explode in old age. This is something the expat insurances seem not to do if you look at the increase of premiums for people aged 30 to people aged 50. Therefore, if you plan to stay in Germany for a longer period of time, it might be wise to pay the higher premium on the German insurance in order to keep costs stable in later years.
Wishing you the best of health in Germany,

AISA Team

“It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.”
-Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore
(This post was last modified: 07-17-2014 05:58 PM by Seprac.)
07-17-2014 11:15 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
antidive Offline

antidive Offline

RE: Information on Health Insurance
Seprac While the information is useful, I'm not sure if AISA would be ok with you reproducing the whole PDF here. It would be much better if we could have our own FAQ based on information from this and other sources. I'm not sure, just my opinion.

You could at least remove this section "Getting your health insurance:" since its specific to RWTH and FH Aachen.

"So much of what is best in us is bound up in our love of family, that it remains the measure of our stability because it measures our sense of loyalty."

Filling your Infobank | Learning German - Resources Index | Compilation of German Visa Threads
07-17-2014 11:26 AM
nimbus_2000 Offline
Edulix Distinguished Contributor

nimbus_2000 Offline

Likes Given: 3
There is an updated version of this doc on their group right here. Before downloading it, you should be a part of this FB group.

07-17-2014 02:38 PM
Seprac Offline
Edulix Senior Member

Seprac Offline
Edulix Senior Member

Edited the specific details. Besides, I will have abosuloutely no issues in deleting this post, if someone has a problem. Just felt I should share what I came to know...

@nimbus_2000: went throught that too..thanks

My main doubt:

I checked that the travel insurance for two years will cost me around Rs. 12000, with a coverage of 50000$ ...whereas a german health insurance, I understand will cost me 80 euros per month..that is a really huge amont...over two years...i calculated the amount to be arond Rs. 1,50,000....is this cost practically justified??? Am I wrong, in any way, with the figures??

“It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.”
-Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore
07-17-2014 05:49 PM
nimbus_2000 Offline

nimbus_2000 Offline

Likes Given: 3
Seprac

You are absolutely right on the cost front. Public health insurance costs you around 80 Euros per month. Here are the drawbacks of getting insurance from an Indian provider:
a. It might not be recognized by your university which will lead to problems during enrollment. According to laws here, every student should be enrolled in an health insurance plan to get enrolled into the university.
b. There might be issues when you apply to companies for your internships and Masterarbeit as they might not recognize the Indian Health Insurance.
c. If anything happens to you, you would be facing problems here as medical costs here go through the roof. You might not have sufficient funds to cover the costs even though your insurance provider will refund you the costs later.
d. I am not sure whether "travel" insurance can replace the health insurance you buy here. I can be wrong though.

Lastly, it is your health that you are compromising with. Even though paying 80 Euros per month is a lot. But you are assured that you get treatment everywhere. This is my two paisa on the issue. Others can surely have different views.

07-17-2014 06:05 PM
Mumba Offline
Edulix Active Member

Mumba Offline
Edulix Active Member

I have few queries regarding health insurance taken in Germany.

1) The sum (80 Euros per month ), does it vary if a person is carrying any disease? If yes then how much?

2) Do they do any kind of medical checkup to see if a person is healthy or not?

3) If an Indian doctor prescribes certain long term medicines to take in Germany , will those expenses( those medicines purchased in Germany ) be covered by German insurance ?

Thanks.

Best Regards,
Mumba.

Lord Shiva....Be Merciful !!!
01-31-2015 07:37 PM
antidive Offline

antidive Offline

(01-31-2015 07:37 PM)Mumba Wrote:  I have few queries regarding health insurance taken in Germany.

1) The sum (80 Euros per month ), does it vary if a person is carrying any disease? If yes then how much?

2) Do they do any kind of medical checkup to see if a person is healthy or not?

3) If an Indian doctor prescribes certain long term medicines to take in Germany , will those expenses( those medicines purchased in Germany ) be covered by German insurance ?

Thanks.

1) If you decide to disclose that you already have a pre-exisiting condition, depending on the condition it is entirely upto the insurance provider to cover claims rising from this condition. I read somewhere that the insurance company may also refuse to insure you depending on the condition, but I cannot confirm. Also, yes the premiums would definitely be higher and I'm sure Edulix members cannot give you estimates on how much more expensive it would be.

2) No, no checkups are done. However, if during a claim, the insurance provider determines that this was a pre existing condition and you failed to disclose it, they might refuse your claim.

3) I do not think that's a possibility. If however you visit a doctor here and they prescribe the same long term medication, then I guess it might be covered.

As you might understand Mumba, all these are just my opinions. Unless somebody from the insurance provider itself confirms it, I guess one can never be sure.

Best approach might be to discuss this with insurance providers in India and ask them how to proceed.

"So much of what is best in us is bound up in our love of family, that it remains the measure of our stability because it measures our sense of loyalty."

Filling your Infobank | Learning German - Resources Index | Compilation of German Visa Threads
01-31-2015 08:03 PM
spiketospica Offline
Administrator

spiketospica Offline
Administrator

Also worth adding to the list is that you have to make a co-payment of around 10€ to the doctor if that's the first time you're visiting the doctor in that quarter. There is also a co-payment of upto 5€ in the pharmacy.

Also, AFAIK, minor ailments like colds are not covered.

Fall '14 applicant. Energy/Resources.

New to Edulix? Please fill your Infobank first!
Read the profile evaluation guidelines for Spring/Fall 2015.
Tag people like this: @[spiketospica]

Please avoid sending PMs. Ask your questions on the forum where it can be preserved for future applicants. Please send PMs only if I request you to, or if you require some administrative help on the forum.
01-31-2015 10:24 PM
Mumba Offline
Edulix Active Member

Mumba Offline
Edulix Active Member

Thanks antidive for detailed reply.

I think I have to talk to my program coordinator & get her view on this.
Having to pay an extra amount for insurance or denial of insurance altogether can be costly for my budget.

One general question .. how expensive is medical facility there if I purchase the medicines by myself?

Best Regards,
Mumba.

Lord Shiva....Be Merciful !!!
01-31-2015 10:36 PM
antidive Offline

antidive Offline

(01-31-2015 10:36 PM)Mumba Wrote:  Thanks @[antidive] for detailed reply.

I think I have to talk to my program coordinator & get her view on this.
Having to pay an extra amount for insurance or denial of insurance altogether can be costly for my budget.

One general question .. how expensive is medical facility there if I purchase the medicines by myself?

Quite expensive. Unaffordable without the insurance I bet. However, you can always have friends travelling from India bring back the medicines. Or if you plan to visit India every semester or every year, then bring it back yourself. I think that might be the cheapest option of all.

01-31-2015 10:45 PM
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this thread