srihari93 Offline
New Edulixian

srihari93 Offline
New Edulixian

Likes Given: 0
Unisearch: Link
Trying to get into CS (Informatics) MS programme in TUM Germany
Hi guys,
Trying to get into CS (Informatics) MS (MSc) programme in TUM Germany. Will apply for fall '15.
I did my Btech at IIIT Jabalpur in CSE
Grade 8.2 (Max 10) (Topper has 8.9)
I am aiming for 167 Q and 155 V in GRE.
I will start learning German from September end.
I do not have any publications or job experience.
I can get decent LOR from IIIT-Jbp Director(taught us a course) and our HOD.

I have the following Questions
  1. What sholud be my GRE target so that I will fall in Safe or Moderate categeory? Please mention safe and moderate scores seperately for Q and V seperately. I know that GRE is not the only criteria but still......
  2. Will the minimum requirement stipulated for TOEFL in TUM site be enough?
  3. Does having any Community Service record help my Application?
  4. What other top English Medium CS programmes in other public sector German Universities are safe for my profile?
    Please share your opinion over KIT Germany also.

My infobank

Thank you very much
08-16-2014 11:59 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
shivguru.rao Offline
Edulix Senior Member

shivguru.rao Offline
Edulix Senior Member

RE: Trying to get into CS (Informatics) MS programme in TUM Germany
srihari93 You have a good profile. It would help the evaluator if you give additional information such as your previous projects, internships, any research papers, presentations etc(even extra curricular). Fill these in the "Other Miscellaneous Details" part of the INFOBANK.

TUM Informatics course admission process is very complex and rigorous. Minimum GRE requirements are V-146 Q- 154 AWA - 3 . IELTS -6.5, TOEFL- 88.
Usually this year trend for GRE is around 308+ , IELTS or TOEFL minimum requirement will suffice, Bachelors grades 8.3+. Given the requirements you do have a decent chance to crack it. They have a 2 stage procedure, you can check it out here. So i would say that your SOP and essay should be good enough.

INFOBANK || My VI || INFOBANK Tutorial
Fall 2014: RWTH MI | Ploimi CS |TU Munich- Informatics(Dest) |FH Frankfurt-HIS | TUD DSS | RWTH SSE

Inactive on edulix. Please tag other seniors.
08-16-2014 01:20 PM
srihari93 Offline
New Edulixian

srihari93 Offline
New Edulixian

shivguru.rao Thanks for your reply. Phew! it was a positive one and has certainly lifted my spirits.

I updated my profile as you requested. You were saying that the admission process is complex. Please explain me clearly what TUM will be expecting from applicants in general which might help me and other applicants. You could perhaps share your application experience and explain which aspects of your application made it possible for you to crack the process. If you already shared this info. please point me there.

Can you give me your opinion over Karlsruhe Institute of Technology? It ranks similar to TUM in QS rankings for CS.

Oh! Of course, I will be very thankful if you could point me to any other resources in edulix or out side which has helped you or you think might help the applicants. Mr. Green

I am requesting responses form the following seniors.
SridharAshokk
cneha1991
prikulkarni
sunnyj001
qzwxec
dada3mn
ddd17

Thanks guys!

EDIT: I was reading about some 2-stage process in application process and that scores are used to determine our progress and that certain scores will help us to get admission directly with out the need for stage 2. Can you explain this process?
(This post was last modified: 08-16-2014 06:45 PM by srihari93.)
08-16-2014 06:31 PM
nimbus_2000 Offline
Edulix Distinguished Contributor

nimbus_2000 Offline

Likes Given: 3
srihari93

If you tag more than 5 seniors in your post, none of them will get the notification. Most of them do not go through the entire forum and chances are that they will not stumble across this thread. Restrict yourself to 5 people while tagging them. Let me help you out by tagging the first four seniors. You can tag the rest again.
SridharAshokk
cneha1991
prikulkarni
sunnyj001

08-16-2014 06:44 PM
srihari93 Offline
New Edulixian

srihari93 Offline
New Edulixian

nimbus_2000. Oops! I didn't know that. Thank you very much for letting me know man. And these are the remaining list of seniors I am requesting to add their ideas.
qzwxec
dada3mn
ddd17
(This post was last modified: 08-16-2014 06:58 PM by srihari93.)
08-16-2014 06:52 PM
sunnyj001 Offline
Edulix Senior Member

sunnyj001 Offline
Edulix Senior Member

srihari93
You have a good profile. I believe a well written SOP can land you into TUM.
shivguru.rao will be able to give you more insights on application stages. I would like to add that GATE score also play an important role when applying to TUM informatiks. Try to score well in GATE. This will increase your chances of getting admit.

As far as Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT) is concerned, yes it is one of the to universities in Germany, but its program in informatiks is in German language and not in English.

Follow this thread and you can find more info on different universities offering Cs programs

Cs course page link

Destination - Uni Saarland (Visual Computing)
(This post was last modified: 08-16-2014 07:26 PM by sunnyj001.)
08-16-2014 07:24 PM
qzwxec Offline
Edulix Senior Member

qzwxec Offline
Edulix Senior Member

srihari93

As sunnyj001 said you have a good balanced profile

I believe you have a good chance...if you achieve your gre goals they would definitely improve chances....A good SOP and a coherent essay would go a long way....Also you haven't mentioned any Work Ex in your Infobank

As far as the 2-stage process in application process is concerned, it is very simple

1. if you get a assessment score of 70 or more you get a direct admission
  2. if you get a score less than 70 and more than 49 you have to attend an interview..if after your interview your score is more than 70 out of 120 you are admitted else you are rejected.
  3. If your score is less than 50, you are rejected.

All the best!

My Infobank

Destination - TU Munich
08-16-2014 09:13 PM
cneha1991 Offline
Administrator

cneha1991 Offline
Administrator

Likes Given: 2
srihari93 You have a good profile and I think TUM won't be too tough to get in for you. I didn't appear for GRE so couldn't apply for it.
Are you currently working somewhere? As professional experience will be an added advantage with a good profile. RWTH Aachen also have some good English taught courses and INFOTECH of Uni Stuttgart is also reputed. Check out those courses as well.

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view... Until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it."
VI Experience | Computer Science Course Page Link | Infobank Tutorial
Please tag in posts for answers.
08-16-2014 09:14 PM
shivguru.rao Offline
Edulix Senior Member

shivguru.rao Offline
Edulix Senior Member

srihari93 Sure i will try to give a gist on what exactly matters. As you said it is a tw0 step process.

1. Aptitude test: This is general evaluation of your application based on your Grades, GRE, Resume,Essay, Curriculum Analysis, SOP,LORs etc. They will evaluate the entire profile and give you a score from 0 to 100. If you get above 70 then you will get direct admit, from 50 to 69 you will qualify for second round(personal Interview round) and less than 50 then the application is rejected.

Now coming to how they give the score based on the profile:

a. Curriculum Analysis(CA): You need to fill up the details about the Subjects taken in your UG in an excel sheet . Usually it contains the list of subjects, number of credits in ECTS to each subject , marks or GPA obtained in each subject and its equivalent in German grading system.
Note: this document should be filled by you and then send it to them.

They will compare this CA document with the curriculum of BSc Comp Sci of TUM, Depending on your grades in the important foundation subjects they will assign maximum up to 55 points.

b. Now if the total ECTS of your UG is more than 120 ECTS, then only 120 ECTS is used to score 55 points. Rest of the subjects which accounts for more than 120 ECTS will be used to give you extra points. You can get max of 20 points with this.

c.letter of motivation (SOP): The written explanation from the applicant is assessed by two Commission members on a scale of 0 to 10 points.They will give individual scores and the arithmetic mean of those scores will be the final score.
Criteria for evaluating the SOP:
1.Special motivation:
The candidate has relevant qualifications which go beyond the acquired knowledge and skills in the first degree.

2 Specific abilities:
The candidate is able to establish its specific talent for the Master's program by arguments and useful examples to his training (possibly his additional qualification) convincing.

3 Interest:
The Applicant can the relationship between personal interests and content of the study program structured way and justify his particular motivation for the Master's program by arguments and meaningful examples convincing.

Note: Points to be covered in your SOP are Your interest in Informatics, Y did you choose Germany and specially TUM, How will this Masters help improve your skills/career and most important thing your Research Intent. Explain giving examples about you whenever possible.

d.Essay: the candidate is evaluated by two Commission members on a scale of 0 to 15 points.

The score from a,b,c,d are added and checked whether you can be admitted or eligible for interview or rejected.

2. Interview: Candidate will be called for interview if the score is in b/w 50 and 69.
Usually for International candidates they will take interview on Skype and usually two professors will take the interview. The interview lasts at least 20 and at most 30 minutes for each candidate. They usually will check candidate's language skills, Motivation to study Informatics, Technical and problem solving skills.

Finally each Interviewer will evaluate separately and give a score (b/w 0-120). If the score is grater than 70 then you will receive an admit else rejected.
The time taken to provide result of the Interview round depend on the Interviewers, there is no fixed timeline for that.

About KIT, I am not sure of which program you are talking about i dont think there is MS is pure CS offered in English there. Please guide me to the concerned website.

Regarding the QS Ranking i am not sure how much these Ranks tells about the universities because University of Saarland is not even in 100 but it has one of the best and most reputed Masters in CS. I would suggest that go through the curriculum of the programs and then come up with the suitable list.

PS: Both KIT as well as TUM are in TU9. So they are top notch unis in Germany wrt Reputation.

Fall 2014: RWTH MI | Ploimi CS |TU Munich- Informatics(Dest) |FH Frankfurt-HIS | TUD DSS | RWTH SSE

(This post was last modified: 08-16-2014 09:18 PM by shivguru.rao.)
08-16-2014 09:16 PM
srihari93 Offline
New Edulixian

srihari93 Offline
New Edulixian

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
sunnyj001,qzwxec,cneha1991
Thank you very much for your assessment.

ApplauseApplauseApplauseApplauseApplause
shivguru.rao Your comprehensive explanation of the process is very helpful. I think you should start a new thread and add this post which might help our fellow edulixians aspiring to join TUM in CS

I will post follow up questions shortly.(I might not have any!)

LIVE LONG EDULIX
08-16-2014 10:10 PM
shivguru.rao Offline
Edulix Senior Member

shivguru.rao Offline
Edulix Senior Member

Ya i am working on University specific thread for TUM. I think i will complete it once i am there and get some first hand experience.

08-16-2014 10:38 PM
msoumita Offline
New Edulixian

msoumita Offline
New Edulixian

Likes Given: 2
# While filling up the Curriculum Analysis, #C22 in the excel sheet provided how do we calculate the credit score for a Bachelor's degree i.e. 8 semesters?

# Also, what do we need to fill in for the translation factor #C23 in the excel sheet?
Many thanks for any information on the above.[/php][/code]
05-05-2015 11:28 PM
gamekathu Offline
Edulix Active Member

gamekathu Offline
Edulix Active Member

Likes Given: 1
shivguru.rao Great post, helped to clear some doubts. However, have few more questions from my side :

1. Is TUM MS a terminal program? I would like to keep my options open as in to pursue PhD after completion of masters.
2. Summer semester or winter semester, which one is preferable to apply?
3. Is German proficiency needed? I read that its English course, but do we need a basic German language knowledge?

Also, can you kindly evaluate my profile? Thanks a lot! Smile

McGill University, MSc Thesis CS, '18

UniSearch. Tag me for CS evaluations for US/Canada.

Happy to help out everyone, especially my juniors from WBUT (or Makaut eh?)

NB : For latest updates on Fall '17 admits/rejects of CS, join @gradcafe channel in Telegram, where I have a Gradcafe scraper running to send push notifications for every CS related admit/reject updates. For evaluations, if your post is already evaluated by someone I may not always reply.
09-18-2015 10:49 AM
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this thread