Post Reply  Post Thread 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
German Visa || 4 Feb 2015 || Chennai Consulate || Saarland University-MS(Visual Comp)
harnavhari Offline
Edulix Frequent User

harnavhari Offline
Edulix Frequent User

Likes Given: 0
Unisearch: Link
German Visa || 4 Feb 2015 || Chennai Consulate || Saarland University-MS(Visual Comp)
I appeared for the Student Visa (Germany) at Chennai Consulate in 4 February 2015.

University : Saarland University
Course : MSc - Visual Computing
Semester : Summer Semester-2015

I'm staying in Chennai but reached the consulate by 6.50 am itself since my appointment time slot was 8.00 am - 8.20 am. I was let in around 7.45 am. There were only 4 student visa candidates in my time slot and others were from 'robert bosch'.

A guy was sitting there and asked us to arrange the documents in a certain order(issued a form which has the order). and it is like this.

1. Signed Application form & declarations.
2. Covering Letter.
3. Admission Letter.
4. Proof of Academic Qualifications(BTech, XII, X - All certificates & Marklists).
5. Proof of English language proficiency (IELTS).
6. Proof of financial means(Blocked Account details and swift transfer confirmation).
7. Copy of Passport.
(Original Passport and the DD.)

Once he checked that everything is in order and pasted the photo, he gave a token number.

There were 4 counters but only 3 counters functioned when I was there. I was called in around 8.40am although I had my appointment time for 8.00 - 8.20am. Passed the two sets of documents and passport along with the DD.

The Visa Officer(VO) was an Indian Girl (Tamil girl specifically) in her mid 20's and was charming

VO: Which university?
Me : Haven't listened to what she said Razz Sorry Ma'am?
VO: You're going to which university?
Me: Saarland University
VO: (She flipped through the docs) Are you from matriculation stream in 10th std?
Me: Yes, Ma'am. (She was kinda glad after seeing my 10th marks. Yeah, 96%)
VO: Which college and What is your UG CGPA? (asked twice)
Me: Mentioned the details. (She was again glad on hearing my college name)
VO: Describe the modules in your MS course?
Me: (puzzled) Told some course names.
VO: Have you transferred the money to the blocked account and when?
Me: Yes ma'am. Yesterday.
VO: Have you applied to any other universities?
Me: No ma'am but I have applied to two courses at the same university. I was confident that I will get admit because of the similar research experience I had at my 2 year research internship.
VO: She checked the 'date on the admit letter' and entered the date in the system.
Me: waiting patiently...
VO: Are you an electrical engineer?
Me: No, Ma'am. I did my BTech in Information Technology.
VO: Where do you do your internship?
Me: Mentioned the name and place.
VO: Describe your role and what is your daily work look like?
Me: I am working as a research programmer where I do computer programming.
VO: What is your plan after completing MS?
Me: I would come back to India and join an Industrial or Academic research lab in India.
VO: Please place your left hand 4 fingers and right hand 4 fingers and thumbs also.
Me: Done. Actually, at this point only I came to know that she was a Tamil Girl.
VO: Put a 'D' stamp in my passport and gave it along with the receipt. You're done. (smiles)
Me: Thank You Ma'am!! (Smiled back)

I would be happy to answer any queries related to the Student Visa @ Chennai Consulate.

Points to note before going for VI @ Chennai Consulate:
1) They have not asked for the confirmation of blocked account amount transfer.
2) I think it is possible to go for VI without even transferring the money(not sure though)
3) No need to submit travel insurance document when you go for the VI
4) No originals were asked although I had all the originals of the submitted documents and other
5) Take DD only the day before the VI because the DD fee keeps on changing.
6) No formal dress code. Anything decent would do. I went in tee and jeans.
7) No bags allowed inside although those came with child were allowed to carry bags and stuffs.
8) There is no need to go via VFS or any travel agent or whatsoever. You can do it on your own.

Blocked Account
After having experienced the ordeal of going through the consulate for getting the blocked account opening form attested @ Chennai consulate., I would strongly recommend you to open a deutsche bank indian account in Vellore and not Chennai branch. There are several advantages like saving a lot of money and hassle when you do this.

My Story
After getting the docs attested from Chennai Consulate, I had sent them and got delivered to DB-Leipzig on Jan-15-2015. They processed my application and created the account by Jan-22-2015 itself. But they have not communicated the account details even though I had contacted them through the 'contact form' umpteen number of times. No use with emailing to 'db.student@db.com'. So, I was freaked out when I had not received the blocked account even after 13 working days. So, I just approached the DB-Vellore people and they said that they can help me with this issue and told that I have to open an indian account with them(it has so many advantages, believe me). I said okay since the minimum balance was also 25,000 INR only as opposed to 1,00,000 INR @ DB-Chennai branch.

Within two days they created an indian account and after that only they called the DB people at Germany and asked them about my blocked account details. Those DB germany people are 'claiming that they communicated the blocked account details by jan-22-2015' itself although I haven't received it, even though I added the email address 'db.student@db.com' to my contact list. So, it should just land in my inbox but it didn't, I still don't know where it had gone wrong. And from the "scanned copy of my blocked account details" also it is clear that they in fact have created my account by Jan-22-2015 itself. (No, I did not unknowingly delete the email, because I have not received in the first place)

It was so tense times where you just wait blindly and hope for the best but there are always chances that things will go wrong. So, take the alternative path. It's not rocket science. Why should we forced to feel bad simply because we can't get a simple bank account created(though we did everything perfectly and some guy makes a mistake) . Other interesting case is, one of my friend's docs got rejected simply because the Consulate guys didn't attest properly and he have to send the whole docs again and in fact he did send the whole thing again. Costs doubled, more pain, more worries and getting appointment in chennai for attestation is further more of pain.

So, after this ordeal. I transferred the money on 3-feb-2015 evening from my DB-Vellore account to 'Blocked account' and got the confirmation the very next day(4-2-2015) although after finishing my VI.

I am not advertising Deutsche Bank in any manner or whatsoever but simply recommending it to prospective candidates, so that they can avoid a lot of hassle and struggle. Even though we live in super advanced age, things might happen and at times you might become its prey.

Advantages of Opening an Indian Account @ DB-Vellore
1) Much help from the DB-V guys (You can call and talk to them at any instant)
2) Preferred FOREX rates (Better than most banks available out there)
3) Saves a lot of money (EUR calculated as of today)
German consulate attestation fee; 2.5K RS
DHL/Blue dart Courier fee : 3.2K RS
50 Eur transaction fee : 3.5K RS
Your home bank transfer fee : 1.5K RS
TOTAL: 10.7K RS
If you go via DB-Vellore people, You don't have to spend a penny apart from the 25K rs that you deposit in your account. You can save the above sum of money and believe me a lot of stress and worry. But, that 25K rs would have to be there in your DB indian account.
4) You will get blocked account amount transfer confirmation within a day(24hrs). I got mine in just 20 hrs.
5) You can use their 'Gold debit card' during your initial days in Germany
6) Above all, they will help you personally at every stage. You just have to create an indian account and note that unlike what they do @ DB-Chennai, DB-vellore people are not forcing you to take any insurance whatsoever.

Very Happy Special Thanks Very Happy to ritz90 !!
Thanks a lot Very Happy to SridharAshokk for Saarland Specific information

"Do NOT stop believing"
MyInfoBank || My-VI-Chennai-Consulate
Saarland University [ MSc- Visual Computing ] - Summer -2015
(This post was last modified: 02-04-2015 08:29 PM by harnavhari.)
02-04-2015 05:55 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
scofield1144 Offline

scofield1144 Offline

RE: German Visa || 4 Feb 2015 || Chennai Consulate || Saarland University-MS(Visual Comp)
harnavhari

ApplauseApplauseApplauseApplause....kudos... Thanks a lot for sharing your experience, we dont have lot of entries for Chennai consulate.

I hope you would continue your contribution to edulix in future as well. ATB

A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new-Albert Einstein

All you need to know about studying Masters in Germany | German University specific threads with List of Seniors

Infobank Tutorial

Please avoid PMs. Tag me for replies
02-04-2015 06:57 PM
spiketospica Offline
Administrator

spiketospica Offline
Administrator

RE: German Visa || 4 Feb 2015 || Chennai Consulate || Saarland University-MS(Visual Comp)
Congratulations! And please don't call anyone "Ma'am"; she's not your schoolteacher Very Happy

Thank you for the tips regarding DB-Vellore. I am sure it will help many people.

Deutsche Bank in Germany has certain advantages (good English speaking staff, for one), but compared to many other banks, it's not so good. Certain Sparkassen, or some of the online banks are better.

About the DD, while it is better to take the DD close to the interview date, getting it just the previous day might be risky. Even if you take the DD of an older rate, typically you can pay the difference in cash, AFAIK.

Fall '14 applicant. Energy/Resources.

New to Edulix? Please fill your Infobank first!
Read the profile evaluation guidelines for Spring/Fall 2015.
Tag people like this: @[spiketospica]

Please avoid sending PMs. Ask your questions on the forum where it can be preserved for future applicants. Please send PMs only if I request you to, or if you require some administrative help on the forum.
02-04-2015 07:01 PM
harnavhari Offline
Edulix Frequent User

harnavhari Offline
Edulix Frequent User

scofield1144 Thanks! Yeah sure Smile Thanks to Edulix and all senior and fellow edulixians Smile

spiketospica Thanks! Yeah, I was also feeling little uncomfortable when I did that since she was nearly equal to my age. But, I did not pronounce it loudly and I'm sure that the VO has not heard 'Ma'am'.

Thanks for the info about DB-Germany. Will keep that in mind when I do transactions in Germany.

Yeah, I too felt it was risky, given the reliability of our banks & banking systems. But, i got no other choice as i had to rush through. In addition, this month there were two fee changes as far as Chennai consulate is concerned. That's why I advised to take DD the day before and you might also not want to upset the VO when you give the DD for a different amount. I don't think it would give a good impression.

PS: I kindly request you guys to add this experience to this thread

"Do NOT stop believing"
(This post was last modified: 02-04-2015 08:34 PM by harnavhari.)
02-04-2015 07:51 PM
spiketospica Offline
Administrator

spiketospica Offline
Administrator

Done.

Fall '14 applicant. Energy/Resources.

New to Edulix? Please fill your Infobank first!
Read the profile evaluation guidelines for Spring/Fall 2015.
Tag people like this: @[spiketospica]

Please avoid sending PMs. Ask your questions on the forum where it can be preserved for future applicants. Please send PMs only if I request you to, or if you require some administrative help on the forum.
02-04-2015 09:22 PM
harnavhari Offline
Edulix Frequent User

harnavhari Offline
Edulix Frequent User

Thanks very much !!

"Do NOT stop believing"
02-04-2015 10:36 PM
harnavhari Offline
Edulix Frequent User

harnavhari Offline
Edulix Frequent User

nimbus_2000 I was also charged the same exchange rate. When the internet rate was 70.08 they charged me Rs. 71.50 for eur buying.

antidive Thanks very much Smile Yeah, but I was in contact with Mr. Dheepak Prasad and he had helped me like a friend and not like a bank staff, which is actually great!

I was charged totally, an amount of ~ 560 rs for the transfer.

Foreign exchange fee : Rs. 100 (as per RBI norms)
Service fee : Rs. 433
Service fee transaction : Rs. 30
Total : 563 /-

And that's it no other charges. But I do think that the exchange range is little bit on the higher side while actually one of my friends who did the transfer using Citi Bank got exchange rate of just Rs 70.85 but got charged around 3000 rs for the transfer and service tax extra.

"Do NOT stop believing"
02-05-2015 08:24 AM
sumitshek@gmail.com Offline
New Edulixian

sumitshek@gmail.com Offline
New Edulixian

Hi,

It's good to hear that you are done with your VI.

I would suggest you to check your spam folder for the blocked account confirmation which DB guys would have sent you on Jan 22th. I had faced the similar issue.

I appeared for VI on Jan 21st, still waiting for confirmation mail. I am also going for the Visual Computing course at Saarland, do let us know if you get any more information in that context.

02-12-2015 01:14 PM
krish@22 Offline
New Edulixian

krish@22 Offline
New Edulixian

nice to see the complete detail btw u got your visa?? any idea how many days process will take?
03-04-2015 03:04 PM
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this thread