Chem_Eng Offline
Edulix Frequent User

Chem_Eng Offline
Edulix Frequent User

Likes Given: 2
Unisearch: Link
Erasmus Mundus 2016
Hi Edulixians!

We've been discussing the results & queries about Erasmus Mundus 2016 in the old thread entitled "Erasmus Mundus 2013." So I thought it would be useful to start the same thread for 2016. This way, anyone who googles the topic may be more easily redirected here.
Hope we can find our future classmates here! Smile

Lets start talking about EMM-Nano 2016 admit results. The Black Swan saranath102

Wishing everyone success Wink
03-11-2016 08:06 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Chem_Eng Offline
Edulix Frequent User

Chem_Eng Offline
Edulix Frequent User

RE: Erasmus Mundus 2016
Hi saranath102,

Glad to find a potential (!) future classmate Wink. Yes, Elke told me the VERY same things she told u, and I quote here:

Quote:Maybe good to know though is that for the 2nd year some opportunities are available. The students without scholarship, performing best in their first year, can apply for an Erasmus scholarship for their 2nd year. This is a small one, 200 to 300euro per month and max 4 of these can be granted (so no guarantee in advance).

I don't know how much competitive it will be to be in the top 4 students of the class, because I don't know how many classmates I will have. (maybe The Black Swan could enlighten us)

No, they gave me no deadline for the confirmation of the admission. Just said:
"Let me know when you made up your mind to join our Master; I will then ask Mrs. Knecht to issue your official admission letter. "
but I think it is in May. see this, by zero.kalorie
03-11-2016 08:22 PM
saranath102 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

saranath102 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

That is exactly what she told me Razz
Since we don't have a deadline, I will just wait around with my fingers crossed hoping for a scholarship.
Wish you the best of luck Chem_Eng

03-11-2016 08:56 PM
Chem_Eng Offline
Edulix Frequent User

Chem_Eng Offline
Edulix Frequent User

(03-11-2016 08:56 PM)saranath102 Wrote:  That is exactly what she told me Razz
Since we don't have a deadline, I will just wait around with my fingers crossed hoping for a scholarship.
Wish you the best of luck @[Chem_Eng]

Looks like they use the same template since 2013 to send to the selected candidates Razz They don't bother to write something new.

thnx, all the best with your case, too.
Plz do share here whatever new u find out.
03-11-2016 09:01 PM
saranath102 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

saranath102 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

(03-11-2016 09:01 PM)Chem_Eng Wrote:  
(03-11-2016 08:56 PM)saranath102 Wrote:  That is exactly what she told me Razz
Wish you the best of luck @[Chem_Eng]

Looks like they use the same template since 2013 to send to the selected candidates Razz They don't bother to write something new.

thnx, all the best with your case, too.
Plz do share here whatever new u find out.

Certainly!

03-11-2016 09:13 PM
Chem_Eng Offline
Edulix Frequent User

Chem_Eng Offline
Edulix Frequent User

Hi The Black Swan, hope u r doing great.

I asked Elke about Cat-B schol and she made it clear that "Cat B scholarships do not exist any longer" So I'm still waiting impatiently for the final results of EMM schols and hoping to go up in the reserve list to get one.

I was trying to make up my mind about whether to attend this program, even without a scholarship. I have some concerns and I think no one better than u can help me have a better insight into the essence of this program.
The major concern is passing the courses. Looking at courses & their descriptions, they are obviously too PHYSIC-ish (Quantum Phys, Semiconductor Phys, Mesoscopic Phys, ...). Also, they somewhat seem to have been customized for Electrical Eng guys.

I'm a ChemEng BSc graduate and have never been into complicated physics and math classes. Therefore, I just wanted to check with u how hard it could get to pass the courses. And, how much advanced mathematics is required to know before entering the program in order to follow the courses successfully.

Thanks for your time Wink
03-24-2016 12:38 PM
The Black Swan Away
European Nerd

The Black Swan Away
European Nerd

Likes Given: 43
Oh too bad that they don't have those. Good luck with the reserve list and I hope you get it. See if your country has any tie-ups and if you can apply for any other external scholarships.

In my opinion, yeah don't pick more than 3 on the fundamental list. Also not Semiconductor Devices, it is very dense and the exam was a pain in the ass for me even as an Electrical Major. Semiconductor Physics was easy and I reckon it should be still. Also it will be of great help for you to understand general concepts on solid state physics. Quantum Physics, I think they have a better faculty teaching it now (I didn't have a good one), it was challenging for me to grasp as my world was conveniently classical up until that point. With respect to the advanced mathematics, if you've done calculus, fourier transforms and stuff, shouldn't be hard. You gotta do quantum physics in the nano world. Mesoscopic physics, the first part was wonderful, the part involving superconductors was not despite us giving feedback on it (exams won't be that hard but I understood the superconducting part only during my second year when I did another course on Superconductivity).

Level -9
Prof Eval Guide|Univ Specific Index|ECE Specialization Thread| Elements of SOP

Instead of Tagging me for moving, locking and other thread moderations,
Use Reporting option please.

Destination: Erasmus Mundus Nano Program... or so dearly called the **Eruma Mundam** program by KJ & Meow

"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so..."
03-24-2016 08:08 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Chem_Eng Offline
Edulix Frequent User

Chem_Eng Offline
Edulix Frequent User

Thank you again, dear The Black Swan, for your generous guidance, this time on courses. I hope I may ask you about them in more details when enrolling and picking up the courses.

Since I saw your helpful reply 2 days ago, I've been watching some introductory YouTube videos on fourier transform and eigenvalues. I also downloaded a textbook on advanced algebra. I think I have to study a lot prior to getting into the classes!

Actually, what makes me a little worried about this program (and consequently bothering u with asking too many questions!) stems from the hypothesis that KU Leuven has a high acceptance rate with low graduation rate. According to this Q&A, someone says his masters only has a 30% graduation rate but they accept almost everyone. So I just gathering info here and there to have a better insight into the content of this program in order to not get surprised.

Regards Wink
03-26-2016 10:22 PM
Chem_Eng Offline
Edulix Frequent User

Chem_Eng Offline
Edulix Frequent User

Hi saranath102

Have anything new happened to your case? Any news from Elke or KU Leuven?
I'm just anxiously waiting for the final status of the reserve list Brick wall.

By the way, did u get any other admits? Yesterday I got an admit from U Twente (Netherlands), which I posted the details here. However, this one is even worse than EMM-Nano in terms of financial issues, with the expenses totaling about EUR 23K per year!! Shocked
04-07-2016 03:19 PM
saranath102 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

saranath102 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

(04-07-2016 03:19 PM)Chem_Eng Wrote:  Hi @[saranath102]

Have anything new happened to your case? Any news from Elke or KU Leuven?
I'm just anxiously waiting for the final status of the reserve list Brick wall.

By the way, did u get any other admits? Yesterday I got an admit from U Twente (Netherlands), which I posted the details here. However, this one is even worse than EMM-Nano in terms of financial issues, with the expenses totaling about EUR 23K per year!! Shocked

Hi!

I have actually given up my hopes for scholarship in EMM-Nano. I barely made the cut and they offered me a tuition waiver, that in itself was a big surprise.

I have been accepted in the material science and nanotechnology dept. in politecnico di Milano (polimi), Italy. The scholarship (merit based) results for which will be announced late april.
Apart from that, they also offer DSU scholarship (based on family income) the forms for which will be open early july. The DSU scholarship provides a full tuition waiver with a monthly stipend. A friend of mine is studying there and he assures that if in case I don't make the cut in the merit scholarships, I would definitely be given a DSU scholarship. One has to accept the admission first before applying to DSU scholarship though.

Its a judgement call now, I am delaying things till late april for the scholarship results in polimi and chilling for the time being. I will create a thread asking for advice from seniors here after april and make a decision.

04-08-2016 10:48 AM
Chem_Eng Offline
Edulix Frequent User

Chem_Eng Offline
Edulix Frequent User

Wow, Congrats on that! saranath102

Having looked at your infobank, I think your chances of getting the scholarship(s) at Polimi is relatively high. I also was planning to apply there and even filled up the app. form. However, unfortunately, I thought the app. website would be open on the deadline day (14 Mar.), which in fact wasn't and closed the night before. So I didn't submit and lost the chance to apply for Polimi... Neutral

Anyway, I applied for a couple of other universities during the last weeks (my infobank)
But I'm badly fascinated with EMM-Nano program & KU Leuven that I cannot get it off my mind. I'm contemplating to attend here even without the schol...

I wish us the best with our schols Wink
04-08-2016 11:31 AM
saranath102 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

saranath102 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

I too, am heavily leaning toward EMM Nano. Mainly because of the research opportunities there. I would absolutely love to be a part of that program. I may still opt for that program even without scholarship. I feel its too early to decide though.

Best of luck with your scholarships too!

04-08-2016 11:35 AM
Chem_Eng Offline
Edulix Frequent User

Chem_Eng Offline
Edulix Frequent User

Hi saranath102

A few days back one of my recommendation providers informed me that he just got an email from KUL admissions committee inquiring whether my recommendation letter was genuinely from him Shocked

I think it's weird they are checking this now, in that they've accepted me already. But let's hope it's a good omen Smile

Anything new on your side? Any good news from Polimi?
04-12-2016 09:41 PM
saranath102 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

saranath102 Offline
Edulix Frequent User

(04-12-2016 09:41 PM)Chem_Eng Wrote:  Hi @[saranath102]

A few days back one of my recommendation providers informed me that he just got an email from KUL admissions committee inquiring whether my recommendation letter was genuinely from him Shocked

I think it's weird they are checking this now, in that they've accepted me already. But let's hope it's a good omen Smile

Anything new on your side? Any good news from Polimi?

That sounds great Chem_Eng Seems to me that they would be considering you for scholarship! There would be no other reason for checking your recommendations otherwise since they have already given you an acceptance.
I have got nothing from Polimi yet. The deadline to accept the admission offer is 18th april so I think they will atleast wait till 18th before they start announcing scholarships i guess!
Best of luck for your consortium scholarship in EMM-Nano Very Happy

04-14-2016 02:18 PM
Chem_Eng Offline
Edulix Frequent User

Chem_Eng Offline
Edulix Frequent User

(04-14-2016 02:18 PM)saranath102 Wrote:  That sounds great @[Chem_Eng] Seems to me that they would be considering you for scholarship! There would be no other reason for checking your recommendations otherwise since they have already given you an acceptance.
I have got nothing from Polimi yet. The deadline to accept the admission offer is 18th april so I think they will atleast wait till 18th before they start announcing scholarships i guess!
Best of luck for your consortium scholarship in EMM-Nano Very Happy

Yeah I'm hoping so! Though waiting so long is giving me a bad anxiety d'oh!

So you mean Polimi is holding those admitted captive?! Not letting you know of your schol status unless if you accept the offer Razz (just kidding)

Best of luck with yours, too Wink
04-14-2016 05:28 PM
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this thread