my experience in applying for masters in Germany
neil16 Offline
Edulix Active Member

neil16 Offline
Edulix Active Member

Likes Given: 1
Unisearch: Link
RE: my experience in applying for masters in Germany
Hey Guys...I have gone through most of the posts here...Very informative and cleared most of my doubts abt studyin in Germany...Thanks a ton again...But I still have some queries..if u can address them, it will be of great help to me.
Well, I want to pursue masters in VLSI/ IC design..For this course, i was targeting to apply most of the asian univ such as HKUST, NTU, NUS, etc. The reason being i was, and still not sure abt the quality of education as well as job prospects after finishing masters in the mentioned field from German Univ.
I had also kept an option of pursuing Masters in embedded systems or Mechatronics from German Univ if i do not get admit to Asian Univ. The reason being, I am already working with German MNC in the field of Automotive Embedded Systems.

But, after going through the posts, i think i should consider applying to German Univ also for MS in VLSI/IC design.

Can anyone help me out with the better option? My preference is VLSI. Which will be better- Asia or Germany?

Thanx in advance.

http://www.edulix.com/unisearch/user.php?uid=10960

Admits: HKUST, TUM - MSCE
Rejects: TU Delft, EPFL, Aalto, NTU, NUS
Pending: KU Leuven, Univ of Toronto, Univ of Waterloo
09-24-2011 04:45 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
PragathiSundar Offline
Edulix Active Member

PragathiSundar Offline
Edulix Active Member

Likes Given: 9
(09-24-2011 04:45 PM)neil16 Wrote:  Can anyone help me out with the better option? My preference is VLSI. Which will be better- Asia or Germany?
Thanx in advance.

neil16 Welcome to Edulix!!!!!!

With whatever knowledge I have, a MS from anywhere is good. The whole thing of job prospects and other opportunities depends mainly on you. Of course choosing between Asia and Germany is a bit tricky when you consider electronics. Germans as not as good as Asians in the field of electronics, but their teaching standards should be higher than the Asian institutions.

You can look for TU Munich university which offers a few courses in Singapore. That way you can have both German and Asian teaching and exposure. But the fees are very high and they have few higher demands.

I can help you only up to this extent. You will soon get more help here. Look for threads that compare Asian and European standards and other factors. You can come to an conclusion.

Hope that helped you some way

Any queries related to Technical University Hamburg-Haburg(TUHH). I would be glad to answer.
09-24-2011 05:26 PM
neil16 Offline
Edulix Active Member

neil16 Offline
Edulix Active Member

(09-24-2011 05:26 PM)PragathiSundar Wrote:  
(09-24-2011 04:45 PM)neil16 Wrote:  Can anyone help me out with the better option? My preference is VLSI. Which will be better- Asia or Germany?
Thanx in advance.

@[neil16] Welcome to Edulix!!!!!!

With whatever knowledge I have, a MS from anywhere is good. The whole thing of job prospects and other opportunities depends mainly on you. Of course choosing between Asia and Germany is a bit tricky when you consider electronics. Germans as not as good as Asians in the field of electronics, but their teaching standards should be higher than the Asian institutions.

You can look for TU Munich university which offers a few courses in Singapore. That way you can have both German and Asian teaching and exposure. But the fees are very high and they have few higher demands.

I can help you only up to this extent. You will soon get more help here. Look for threads that compare Asian and European standards and other factors. You can come to an conclusion.

Hope that helped you some way

Thanx for dat quick reply...Dis whole confusion started after hearing all the gud things abt German Univ in this post Smile I am thinking of applying to TUM, Univ of Stuttgart, RWTH Aachen, TU Darmstadt and TUH. Could u plz analyze the chances of gettin into these univ?

09-24-2011 06:10 PM
PragathiSundar Offline
Edulix Active Member

PragathiSundar Offline
Edulix Active Member

Likes Given: 9
(09-24-2011 06:10 PM)neil16 Wrote:  I am thinking of applying to TUM, Univ of Stuttgart, RWTH Aachen, TU Darmstadt and TUH. Could u plz analyze the chances of gettin into these univ?

I think you have a more than a good chance of getting into most of the universities listed above. Just go to DAAD. Do some research on the cost, the requirements and other thing on that site.

You need some good SOP, and other experience will count too. The faster you apply the better are the chances of getting an admit. Check for the other universities too.Smile

I have not much idea but I have a vague idea that you can in the neighbouring countries. Sweden, Netherlands too. Too many options are confusing too. Sad

Any queries related to Technical University Hamburg-Haburg(TUHH). I would be glad to answer.
09-24-2011 06:58 PM
neil16 Offline
Edulix Active Member

neil16 Offline
Edulix Active Member

(09-24-2011 06:58 PM)PragathiSundar Wrote:  
(09-24-2011 06:10 PM)neil16 Wrote:  I am thinking of applying to TUM, Univ of Stuttgart, RWTH Aachen, TU Darmstadt and TUH. Could u plz analyze the chances of gettin into these univ?

I think you have a more than a good chance of getting into most of the universities listed above. Just go to DAAD. Do some research on the cost, the requirements and other thing on that site.

You need some good SOP, and other experience will count too. The faster you apply the better are the chances of getting an admit. Check for the other universities too.Smile

I have not much idea but I have a vague idea that you can in the neighbouring countries. Sweden, Netherlands too. Too many options are confusing too. Sad

U are right dat more options v hav the more confusion it creates...But I really appreciate ur inputs..N yes, I hav searched for univ in da neighbourhood also like TU Delft,EPFL, etc....But i need to finalize my list asap to apply to these univs early...Once again thanx a lot Smile

09-24-2011 07:29 PM
Atheethr Offline
Edulix Senior Member

Atheethr Offline
Edulix Senior Member

Likes Given: 0
Hello everyone...
I am new to Edulix
I would love to share some things i have noticed when applying for Masters in Germany.

German uni's weigh heavily on your Acads...
But what they dont know is every University in India is different.
For instance University of Mumbai is tougher to score than say VTU Belgaum.
But they never take this thing into consideration.
All they look at is your acads.

And people with CGPA are at an advantage ...

For instance my grade is 7.32(out of 10).
When German uni considers my grades they feel my grade amounts to 73.2% when actually its less than that !!!!
And they dont care if your from which university (Except IIT's - They know a thing or two about IIT's)

In that sense

70% from Mumbai University is treated same as 7.00 from some autonomous College.

That makes people from Mumbai University at a disadvantage..

I was actually surprised when UNI-Assist(Central Foriegn Degree Conversion Institute in Germany) converted my grades to 2.34 ( According to German Grade conversion)

That made me above average when my acads wer just "average"...

Hope you get the point!!!!!
10-31-2011 07:31 PM
gupta879 Offline
New Edulixian

gupta879 Offline
New Edulixian

hey
its really nice information. I am also going to apply in germany for MS in industrial engineering. But from Mastrerportal and DAAD im unable to find Colleges of germany offering MS in Industrial engineering. Can any body help me out ?? I am Interested in MS and MS-PHD both

Am waiting for response
12-07-2011 07:10 PM
Atheethr Offline
Edulix Senior Member

Atheethr Offline
Edulix Senior Member

(12-07-2011 07:10 PM)gupta879 Wrote:  hey
its really nice information. I am also going to apply in germany for MS in industrial engineering. But from Mastrerportal and DAAD im unable to find Colleges of germany offering MS in Industrial engineering. Can any body help me out ?? I am Interested in MS and MS-PHD both

Am waiting for response

Sure .... Anything ... But i gotta say the database in DAAD and Mastersportal.eu are very extensive ... But there were some programs which wer not present in those databases ... Still u gotta check it out for yourself !! Any more help u need pm me ... Ill try my level best to help....
12-07-2011 09:02 PM
ankitchandra001 Offline
New Edulixian

ankitchandra001 Offline
New Edulixian

Hi, I have shortlisted these 2 universities for MS in MIS(Management Information System).

1.http://www.vg-u.org/[European University Viadrina]

2.http://mbae.htw-berlin.de/general-information/berlin-and-the-htw/

NAME - [Hochschule für Technik und Wirtschaft Berlin]
Can u please help me to find out. How are these universities?

Thanks
Aryan Chandra
12-10-2011 02:29 PM
selva_ceg Offline
Edulix Active Member

selva_ceg Offline
Edulix Active Member

Guys,

Rwth Achen- I don’t see any course related to embedded systems taught in English. Please throw some light

http://www.campus.rwth-aachen.de/rwth/al...BCD3B00625
12-12-2011 12:13 AM
rohanvkamat Offline
Edulix Active Member

rohanvkamat Offline
Edulix Active Member

Likes Given: 19
(06-21-2011 10:11 AM)PragathiSundar Wrote:  Hi SSvicky1988,

You can apply for the desired university with a TOEFL score of 2years old or newer.(Some universities specify in their site). But as far as VISA processing is concerned, for a German visa the TOEFL score should be less than a year old.

The TOEFL score must be valid at the time of application. By the time you apply your TOEFL validity would have expired.And also most of the courses in Germany start Mid-Sept onwards. So it is better if you take your TOEFL again after September or October, thereby helping you in both application and Visa processing with a fuss.

P.S. Check the universities' website and if needed, call to the university and check with them.

PragathiSundar
So, If I gave my TOEFL in July 9th this year....Next year when I get an admit and go for my Visa to the German Couns. in July/August, my TOEFL score should be less than 1 year old??? Please can anyone confirm this so that I can give my Toefl again
12-13-2011 01:05 PM
shashank gangil Offline
Edulix Senior Member

shashank gangil Offline
Edulix Senior Member

I am new to edulix.Well i always harboured this passion to study in germany.I,infact appeared for both gre and toefl in 2008 when i was in final yr but somehow didnt applied anywhere.Now i want to apply this time.I hav a old gre score,over 3 yr old but m going to give toefl in jan 2012.I am intertested in Fall 2012 and hav only selected one univ i.e FH Aachen,because my area of interest is in sustainable energy use and conservation,and havnt found many univ in germany specifically dealing with this.
I am worried becoz my graduation record is not very attractive,i have scored just 65 percent during my graduation from guru gobind singh indraprastha university,new delhi,no paper presentation nothing.But yes i have 1.5 yrs of ex as HVAC engineer designing energy efficient HVAC system for Commercial buildings.

one more thing, i hav a gap yr just after my school got over.

Now my question is,will my low graduation record,old GRE score and gap yr between studies affect my chances of admission?

What exactly german univ look for,do they look for great graduation record,which i dont have,or they also consider relevent work expeirience too?
12-16-2011 11:25 AM
Rocker.pg Offline
Edulix Active Member

Rocker.pg Offline
Edulix Active Member

Likes Given: 22
shashank gangil First of all... German universities do not require Gre... Since u r not having an exceptional score, u r better off not sending them. Try and score 95+ in toefl and that ll be taken care of... Although germans (as a matter of fact all europeans) seem to give a lot of importance to undergraduation score, ur score is not too to get rejected right off... And for ur kind information, german value the work experience a lot, giving u a good advantage. Write a strong SOP with letters of recommendation from ur workplace and university, u can end up securing a good admit...

Best of luck...

Regards,

RoCkEr

Bank|MyEval|Guide
Decided on Destination??>>Look Here
12-16-2011 12:37 PM
shashank gangil Offline
Edulix Senior Member

shashank gangil Offline
Edulix Senior Member

Well the university i m interested in,they hav said though not necessary but they recommend GRE score........

Moreover,FH Aachen dont need letter of recos,as far as there website says.....
12-16-2011 02:29 PM
deep0sea Offline
Edulix Frequent User

deep0sea Offline
Edulix Frequent User

Hi..

My name is Deepak. I'm gonna apply for Winter 2012.. I did my B.E. ECE from College of Engineering, Guindy, Anna University, Chennai. I have 8.38/10 as my CGPA. Core is Electronics..

I havent written GRE as many univs dont ask for it.. Thinking of taking IELTS as some univs do ask for it, but others take the 'medium of instruction' certificate itself received from college as proof of English..

I have few univs shortlisted along with their courses.. Can you let me know, whether they are good?

Here are the universities where i got courses for me.. It just the starting point of Short listing universities to apply..

1. Frankfurt University of Applied Sciences: ME Information Technology (IT)

2. Technische Universität München (University): Master of Science in Communications Engineering

3. Esslingen University of Applied Sciences: Automotive Systems (Master of Engineering)

4. Berlin University of Technology: Global Production Engineering in Solar Technology (GPE)

5. TU Darmstadt (University of Technology): Electrical Power Engineering (EPE)

6. TU Darmstadt (University of Technology): International Master's Programme in Information and Communication Engineering

What do you think of the universities?? And what are my chances?
12-19-2011 12:04 PM
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this thread