All U need to know about UK visa!!
SapnaShukla Offline
Edulix Senior Member

SapnaShukla Offline
Edulix Senior Member

Likes Given: 0
Unisearch: Link
All U need to know about UK visa!!
WEF 31st march, 2009 Uk govt has launched a new category of visas for the convenience of students going to UK fr their studies. This is certainly a great news!! Very Happy the visa process is now expected to become hassle free and quicker with the introduction of this new category called Tier 4: (General) Student and (Child) Student (INF 29)

Important for (General) Students and (Child) Students aged 16 or 17 years living independently
To qualify for Tier 4 of the Points Based System you must be able to demonstrate that you have the tuition fees and funds to support yourself and any dependants. The maintenance amount for the main applicant is calculated at £800 per month if you intend to study in the Inner London Boroughs (see below), and £600 per month if you intend studying elsewhere. For courses of up to 9 months duration you will be required to show that you have the full tuition fee plus the appropriate monthly amount for each month you intend to be in the UK. On a course of more than 9 months you will be required to show that you have the first year of the tuition fees plus either £7200 or £5400 depending on whether you intend to study inside or outside of the Inner London Boroughs (see below). These amounts must be held in your personal bank account for a minimum period of 28 days. The end of that 28 day period must not be more than one month before the date of your application, for which you must show bank statements/other evidence.
If you apply before 1 June 2009 you will only need to show proof that you have the money needed, on the day that you apply. You must still provide the correct documents to support your application.

This is the official link for this category of visa : http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/howtoapply/...pbsstudent

Important points:
  • Tier 4 (General) Student is for people coming to the United Kingdom for their post-16 education. Tier 4 (Child) Student is for children between the ages of 4 and 17 to come to the UK.
  • All applicants under Tier 4 (General) Student and Tier 4 (Child) Student need a sponsor. The sponsor is an education provider offering the applicant a place on a course of study in the United Kingdom. An education provider will need to have registered with the UK Border Agency as a licensed sponsor.
  • Under Tier 4 an applicant must have a Visa Letter issued by a licensed sponsor (approved education provider) before making an application. This is a paper document which must be an official, unconditional offer by the sponsor to the applicant for the course of study he/she wants to do(issued within last 6 months ) -> there is a list issued by the UK Border Agency which has the name of all the colleges/institutes in UK which have the power to issue a valid letter of sponsorship. U do not get a visa if ur institute is not listed. http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/siteco...seducation
  • With a tier 4 visa , u can stay for The full length of the course plus four months after the end of your course (given ur course is of duration equal to or more than 12 months)
  • You need 40 points to be able to apply for a student visa and must provide the proof needed with your application form.
    30 points: Visa letter from your approved education provider, and the documents used to get the visa letter
    10 points: Bank statement or letter confirming that you have enough money available to cover your course fees and monthly living costs for up to one year, at the time you submit your application
    You must be able to prove that the money you need to apply has been in your account for 28 days before you submit your application. Smile
  • Amount u need to show:
    Course duration More than nine months (In London ): First year of fees and £7,200 to cover the first year in the United Kingdom
    Course Duration More than nine months (Outside London): First year of fees and £5,400 to cover the first year in the United Kingdom
  • You can apply in person and online.If you are in India you must apply at the nearest visa application centre. These centres are located in Ahmedabad, Bangalore, Chandigarh, Chennai, Cochin, Hyderabad, Jalandhar, Kolkata, New Delhi, North Mumbai, Pune and South Mumbai. U can find the addresses here: http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/howtoapply/...pply/india--> I am still not very clear about the whole application part.. but afaik, U cant apply online from India. u need to get the form online (.pdf), print it , fill it, attach the other required stuff and goto the VAC near ur place. They collect visa application forms and supporting documents, biometric fingerscans and the visa application fee (which is £145 the last time i checked.. may have been updated)
  • You will be able to work:
    * part-time work during term-time which is no more than 20 hours a week; and
    * full-time work during vacations.
  • Applicants for UK visas valid for longer than six months in certain countries now require a certificate to show that they are free from infectious pulmonary tuberculosis (TB).
  • Guide for visa photo: http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/resources/en/d...Photoguide

Check out this document for further details: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/siteco...onplan.pdf
I will keep updating the thread with more info as and when i come across something relevant.. Smile

UPDATED ON 19th March

hi all!! well.. really sorry about not posting earlier .. Been really caught up.. But nevertheless, I think now is a great time for this post on uk visa application procedure cos most of u will be applying soon...

well, lets get down straight to business then .. Like i mentioned in the first post of this thread, Student visa is now a Tier 4 visa.. don't confuse it with the student visitor visa (thats only for a 6 months)...

Unfortunately, the UK student visa rules have become really really tough in the past couple of months mainly due to an unprecedented number of applicants this year ( they suspended Student visa applications from north India and partially closed the visa centers in south India).. The new rules are listed below.. You must have a look at them before hand to avoid unpleasant surprises!

http://ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/siteconten...reign-stud
http://ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/siteconten...plications
http://www.vfs-uk-in.com/news.aspx

Moving on, the basic application remains the same.. You need:
  • Your passport or travel document; <----make sure it is valid for more years than that required for the course , otherwise get a new one... u don wan any problems during ur course..
  • The fee £145 (INR 10900 +200 for the bank charges + 20 ish for some extra stupid charges). This cannot be refunded and you must pay in local currency in cash at counter or DD or at a Standart charted bank branch ; http://www.vfs-uk-in.com/wheretopay.aspx#3
  • A recent passport sized photograph (in colour taken against a white background;clear and of good quality and not framed or backed;printed on normal photographic paper;full face and without sunglasses, hat or head covering (unless it is worn for cultural or religious reasons but the face must not be covered)) <----- they make a big fuss about the photographs.. so get it done exactly as mentioned on the website.. if they reject the photo, dont freak out.. u can get 4 photos done for around 100 bucks or so inside the VFS center but do carry some with u
  • All documents as specified in the Tier 4 Guidance as stated in the Immigration Rules.

The visa is given based on whether u earn 40 points (30 for the documents and 10 for the funding). Below is a list of docs u might need for the application.
  • The most imp. document is the CAS (Certificate of Acceptance of studies). This is a new addition to the list of documents required and is basically a consolidated form of the classic visa letter. A CAS is an electronic document that is created by a UK Border Agency licensed sponsor to demonstrate that they have accepted an applicant to join one of their courses in the UK. The CAS must demonstrate very clearly that the applicant has an official, unconditional offer from the sponsor for the course of study he / she wants to undertake. The applicant must note the unique fourteen digit reference number for their CAS on the appropriate field on their application form. The expiry date of a CAS is 6 months from the date of issue
  • The above point mentions sponsor. Don't get mislead by the term. The sponsor for the UKBA means your education provider/ college. They have a rating : A or B. while choosing a college , check for the college's rating on the UKBA website. College with B ratings aren't so good and their students often face problems in the visa application.
  • Most of the science courses need an ATAS certificate (not too sure if it is still applicable). Your college should tell u bout it , but if they dont, do check it out urself! your visa letter or college registration form after getting the admit will carry a JACS code which u will need to make an online ATAS application. http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/ecg/study/a...ovalscheme this should help you figure out more about it. This application takes a very long time so make sure u check as soon as u get the admit if u need ATAS and apply for it as early as possible - mine was stuck for 2 months and my classmate got delayed for the course cos he didnt get his on time!!!
  • Next come the finances.. you must carry all the bank statements n other relevant documents with you. this site is really helpful in knowing how much u need to show for the living expenses apart from ur tuition fee (mentioned in the visa letter or CAS) http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/studyi...entvisa/.. Mine was a scholarship which covered living and tuition both so all I had to submit was a letter from my sponsor. Make sure u fill all the details properly and truthfully in the ATAS and the visa form VAF9.
  • Visa form - VAF9. This is a pretty simple form to fill out. Make sure you print it out and fill it before u goto the VFS. If you are unsure, u can fill in with pencil and ask the VFS officer who is checking your form atthe counter for help.. but do not expect any real help from them!! they are jus there to make sure u have all the docs (wont even tell u wat all is required) and have filled in the form completely.. Form is available at http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/howtoapply/...15332357.. the guide book for the form is very useful as well!
  • Visa form - VAF9. This is a pretty simple form to fill out. Make sure you print it out and fill it before u goto the VFS. If you are unsure, u can fill in with pencil and ask the VFS officer who is checking your form atthe counter for help.. but do not expect any real help from them!! they are jus there to make sure u have all the docs (wont even tell u wat all is required) and have filled in the form completely.. Form is available at http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/howtoapply/...15332357.. the guide book for the form is very useful as well!

As I have alreayd mentioned , my visa process was very very long (almost 3 months) cos it involved getting visa docs and scholarship documents from UK, having my ATAS stuck for processing for <1.5 months (contact ur college immediately if this happens, they will help for sure!) and the busy UK consulate at that time..
  • I first got all the docs from the college (visa letter, sponsorship letter)
  • I applied for ATAS - u cant apply for visa till u get ATAS (if u need an ATAS at all)

• filled out the form VAF9 and booked an appointment at the VFS by emailing them. They are very quick and helpful. U must get an appointment for the visa application submission at the VFS. Will save u a lot of headache plus it has become a requirement in North Indian centers now.
  • Went in for the appointment (i got late and had to wait for 3 hrs in the Q ). You are not allowed to carry any electronic instruments inside or even big bags and only applicants are allowed inside the VFS.
  • Paid cash at the VFS counter as the visa fee and got a receipt and a token number.
  • my token number was finally called after a long wait of 3 hrs. Went to the VFS officer. He was really dumb and couldn help me with anything at all. Jus checked my docs, asked me bout my financial docs if I had everything in order (further enquiry for me cos I didnt have anything apaprt from sponsorship letter).. they wil not tell u if u r missing a doc or u shud submit wat docs.. they will jus take wat u have and wat u wan to give .. so its all upto u .. make sure u carry ALL the supporting docs possible!!!
  • my photo didnt match the criteria so I had to go and get a few clicked for 100 bucks. My packet was already submitted and I was given a receipt now and asked to wait in the biometric area.
  • After a half hour wait , I was called for a digital photo and handprinting. ... and thats it!.. application over!
  • Now the painful wait for my visa status started.. I used to check on the website everyday and had signed up for alerts on phone as well.. Finally I got bugged after about 2 weeks and called up the VFS to get a rough estimate of the time when I will get my visa back.. they did give em a pretty good estimate (but call them only after 2 weeks or the tiem they mentioned)...
  • Now the painful wait for my visa status started.. I used to check on the website everyday and had signed up for alerts on phone as well.. Finally I got bugged after about 2 weeks and called up the VFS to get a rough estimate of the time when I will get my visa back.. they did give em a pretty good estimate (but call them only after 2 weeks or the tiem they mentioned)...

Erasmus Mundus Master (OpSciTech) 2009-2011

Friedrich-Schiller-Universität, Jena, Germany (Year 2 : 2010-2011)
Imperial College London (Year 1: 2009 - 2010)

My Infobank profile:
http://www.edulix.com/unisearch/user.php?uid=8576
(This post was last modified: 06-16-2010 04:09 AM by santoshgoku.)
04-16-2009 12:24 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Nile Away
Admin Emeritus

Nile Away
Admin Emeritus

RE: All U need to know about UK visa!!
Cool work Sapna!

Logo ka UK ka sapna saakaar hone me iski madat jaroor hogi. Wink
04-16-2009 07:25 AM
SapnaShukla Offline
Edulix Senior Member

SapnaShukla Offline
Edulix Senior Member

lolz!! Laughing
04-16-2009 12:13 PM
The Madmax Offline
Edulix MVP - 10K Posts
Edulix MVP

The Madmax Offline
Edulix MVP - 10K Posts
Edulix MVP

Stick Stick

As if I give a damn
06-10-2009 03:57 PM
Speed Away
Dawdler

Speed Away
Dawdler

Likes Given: 4
good work ..

No more SOP Review and Profile Evaluation.I am not active here now
06-10-2009 04:15 PM
killing.vibes Offline
Edulix Super Senior

killing.vibes Offline
Edulix Super Senior

ApplauseApplauseApplause good work..

"Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth.
For being correct. For being you.
Never apologize for being correct,or for being years ahead of your time.
If you're right and you know it, speak your mind.
SPEAK YOUR MIND.
Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is still the truth."

~Mohandas Gandhi
06-10-2009 05:20 PM
icarusrohit Offline
Edulix Active Member

icarusrohit Offline
Edulix Active Member

Is this thread still valid for 2010 entry?? or hav they introduced sme new changes??

06-16-2010 10:26 PM
SapnaShukla Offline
Edulix Senior Member

SapnaShukla Offline
Edulix Senior Member

there are a lot of new changes.. i had written a very long thread about it but looks like it too got deleted cos of the edulix fiasco Sad

Erasmus Mundus Master (OpSciTech) 2009-2011

Friedrich-Schiller-Universität, Jena, Germany (Year 2 : 2010-2011)
Imperial College London (Year 1: 2009 - 2010)

My Infobank profile:
http://www.edulix.com/unisearch/user.php?uid=8576
06-22-2010 02:05 AM
icarusrohit Offline
Edulix Active Member

icarusrohit Offline
Edulix Active Member

Oh..thats a bummer. Cud u plz put just the bullet points if possible ??
Thanx a lot.

06-22-2010 07:59 PM
nmpraveen Offline
Edulix Active Member

nmpraveen Offline
Edulix Active Member

I have an spelling mistake in city name in passport..everything else is fine from pincode to my name..will that create a problem
08-13-2010 07:01 PM
anuragm Away

anuragm Away

Likes Given: 10
Pretty much of what has been said here is still valid, except for the visa fee. The fee is about INR 20,000 now and you need to show liquid funds for the visa process.

What I would like to clarify is - Are mutual funds considered liquid by the UKBA or not? Most of my savings are in the form of mutual funds which will be stated in the letter issued by the bank.

07-14-2011 05:54 PM
vikramhd Offline
New Edulixian

vikramhd Offline
New Edulixian

(07-14-2011 05:54 PM)anuragm Wrote:  Pretty much of what has been said here is still valid, except for the visa fee. The fee is about INR 20,000 now and you need to show liquid funds for the visa process.

What I would like to clarify is - Are mutual funds considered liquid by the UKBA or not? Most of my savings are in the form of mutual funds which will be stated in the letter issued by the bank.

Hi do they accept FDs from nationalized bank or any other FDs from scheduled bank will do
07-20-2011 08:50 PM
anuragm Away

anuragm Away

Likes Given: 10
IMO FDs are considered liquid cash, so they are accepted. Just to be on the safer side, ask your bank to specify in the letter that you have liquid investments in the form of FDs.

07-21-2011 09:08 AM
vikramhd Offline
New Edulixian

vikramhd Offline
New Edulixian

(07-21-2011 09:08 AM)anuragm Wrote:  IMO FDs are considered liquid cash, so they are accepted. Just to be on the safer side, ask your bank to specify in the letter that you have liquid investments in the form of FDs.

Thnx man
07-21-2011 07:03 PM
GenesForLife Offline
Edulix Frequent User

GenesForLife Offline
Edulix Frequent User

(07-21-2011 07:03 PM)vikramhd Wrote:  
(07-21-2011 09:08 AM)anuragm Wrote:  IMO FDs are considered liquid cash, so they are accepted. Just to be on the safer side, ask your bank to specify in the letter that you have liquid investments in the form of FDs.

Thnx man

What he said, and also please ensure that the letter clearly states that the money in the deposits can be withdrawn immediately as and when required.
07-26-2011 07:29 PM
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
Post Reply  Post Thread 

View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe to this thread